My colleague Eric Roper last week highlighted Council Member Gary Schiff’s opinion that the city’s three forthcoming electric vehicle charging stations in the Haaf parking ramp downtown ought to charge drivers for their juice when they plug in. As matters now stand, the city plans to offer the power for free, aside from the parking fee.
Busy minds inside the city bureaucracy note that had Schiff wanted to set a pay-for-power policy, he’s had at least three chances. The council’s Regulatory Energy and Environment Committee, on which Schiff sits, has considered the Haaf plug-in proposal twice. It’s also been before the full council once, and is due there again Friday, although Schiff isn’t expected back from a trip to Israel for that meeting.
Schiff responded from Israel, where he's traveling with a delegation of Minneapolis politicians, that he’s a recent convert to his point of view after touring an electric car factory in that country. “Frankly, in the past I probably thought free electricity it was a low-cost gimmick that would make Minneapolis look good and encourage people to buy electric cars,” he said..
“Now I see that we can provide incentives like premium space parking (close to the entrances) that raise the visibility of the new technology without costing taxpayers anything. The expectation of free electricity paid for by city taxpayers is not only unsustainable, but sends completely the wrong message about energy. Energy is never free, and never should be.”
But Public Works officials argued for free electricity for at least a year, eating the city's cost of up to $1,800 annually. They argue that no city they’ve found charges for plugging in for at least the first year, that the cost is low, and that charging pluggers would still cost the city money in credit card fees and bookkeeping.
More from Star Tribune
More From MPLS.
Days after a U.S. Congress vote that potentially allows internet providers to sell customers' browsing data, Minnesota lawmakers have pushed back with votes to tighten privacy protections within the state.
Jorge Contreras has worked on campaigns in 10 states.
Minneapolis police said they have linked two weekend shootings, which left residents frightened and sent some diving to the floor to avoid stray bullets, to an early-morning homicide last week that left a father of two dead on the city's North Side.
Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said his biggest regret as the county's top prosecutor was using grand juries to investigate the shootings of civilians by police, admitting that the process lacked transparency.
She's recommended a fourth delay in Lyndale Farmstead improvements originally planned for 2013 in park where superintendent lives