Spiced Fried fish with lemon pistachio couscous
Note: From “Mediterranean Cooking,” by Pamela Clark.
• 1 c. couscous
• 3/4 c. boiling water
• 2 tsp. lemon zest
• 1/4 c. fresh lemon juice
• 2 tsp. plus 1 tbsp. olive oil, divided
• 1 small red onion, finely chopped
• 1 garlic clove, crushed
• 1/2 c. roasted unsalted shelled pistachios
• 1/2 c. coarsely chopped fresh mint
• 1 tbsp. flour
• 1 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
• 1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
• 1 tsp. sweet smoked paprika
• 1/4 tsp. cayenne pepper
• 4 white fish fillets (6 oz. each)
• 1 tbsp. olive oil
• 1 lemon cut into 8 wedges
To prepare the couscous: In a medium heatproof bowl, combine couscous with 3/4 cup boiling water, lemon zest and juice. Cover and let stand about 5 minutes or until liquid is absorbed, fluffing with fork occasionally.
Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a small skillet; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Stir onion mixture, nuts and mint through couscous and season to taste.
To prepare the fish: Combine flour, coriander, cumin, paprika and cayenne pepper in medium bowl. Add fish and rub spice mixture all over it.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet; cook fish in batches until browned and cooked as desired. Serve with couscous and wedges of lemon.