Minestrone With Mushrooms and Feta
Note: Orzo is a Greek pasta shaped like grains of rice. This simple meal can be on the table in 30 minutes. “From Better Homes and Gardens: The Ultimate Soups & Stews Book.”
• 2 garlic cloves, minced
• 1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
• 2 c. stemmed fresh shiitake mushrooms, sliced
• 3 (14-oz.) cans vegetable broth
• 1 (15-oz.) can cannellini (white kidney) beans, rinsed and drained
• 1/2 c. dried orzo (see Note)
• 1 1/2 c. quartered cherry tomatoes
• 1/4 c. small fresh oregano leaves, divided
• 1/2 c. feta cheese, crumbled
• Ground black pepper
•1 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
In a 4-quart Dutch oven, cook garlic in hot oil for 15 seconds. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, until mushrooms are tender.
Stir in broth and beans. Bring to boiling. Add orzo. Return to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 15 minutes or until orzo is tender.
Stir in cherry tomatoes and 3 tablespoons oregano; heat through. Sprinkle with remaining oregano, feta and pepper. Drizzle with olive oil.