Matta wins 300th at OSU
• OHIO STATE 76, MOUNT ST. MARY'S 54: Jae'Sean Tate scored 21 points and two other Buckeyes turned in double-doubles as host Ohio State opened its season by giving coach Thad Matta his 300th win at the school. "I've been here a while and I've had some great players," Matta said.
• NO. 17 WISCONSIN 92, SIENA 65: Bronson Koenig scored 23 points and Vitto Brown added a career-high 16 for the host Badgers (1-1). The win kept alive Wisconsin's streak of having never lost consecutive home nonconference games under coach Bo Ryan.
• NO. 23 PURDUE 107, VERMONT 79: Dakota Mathias scored 17 points and Isaac Haas added 16 for the Boilermakers (2-0) in a Naismith Hall of Fame Tipoff game in West Lafayette, Ind. Purdue made a school-record 18 three-pointers. A.J. Hammons, Purdue's 7-foot senior center and leading returning scorer, was benched for a second consecutive game by coach Matt Painter, who has not given a reason why Hammons has not played. Hammons is neither injured nor in trouble with the law.
• ILLINOIS 80, NORTH DAKOTA STATE 74: Center Mike Thorne Jr. scored 21 points as the Illini (1-1) rallied from a 14-point deficit in the second half to defeat the Bison (1-1) in Springfield, Ill. Paul Miller scored 19 points to lead North Dakota State (1-1).
• IOWA 103, COPPIN STATE 68: Brady Ellingson scored a career-high 20 points and Dom Uhl added 18 in his first career start for the host Hawkeyes (2-0). Ten different Hawkeyes scored at least five points.
• RUTGERS 82, HOWARD 70: Corey Sanders scored 15 points in his long-awaited debut for the host Scarlet Knights (2-0). Sanders sat out the season opener, serving a one-game, self-imposed penalty from Rutgers.
• NO. 3 NOTRE DAME 85, BUCKNELL 54: Muffet McGraw picked up win No. 700 at Notre Dame when Brianna Turner scored 21 points to lead the Irish to a season-opening victory at home.
• NO. 19 NORTHWESTERN 89, HOWARD 49: Nia Coffey scored 27 points and pierced the 1,000-point career mark for the host Wildcats.
• NO. 24 MICHIGAN STATE 78, WESTERN MICHIGAN 40: Akyah Taylor had 12 points, 10 rebounds and four steals for the Spartans in their season opener.
• IOWA 62, TENNESSEE MARTIN 56: The Hawkeyes (2-0) won their 20th consecutive home game and junior Ally Disterhoft scored her 1,000 career point.