Freshman Stephanie Samedy had 13 kills and sophomore Alexis Hart 11 as the No. 6 Gophers volleyball team defeated No. 16 Purdue 25-17, 25-21, 25-23 on Wednesday night at the Maturi Pavilion.
The Gophers (16-2, 5-2), who have won four matches in a row, trailed 21-17 in the third set before rallying behind four kills from Hart. Samedy got the kill on match point. Minnesota hit .298, led by Molly Lohman at .636 with seven kills. Purdue (15-3, 5-2) hit .224.
Samantha Seliger-Swenson of the Gophers had 36 assists and 15 digs.
• Gophers sophomore catcher Kendyl Lindaman accepted an invitation to attend the 2018 USA Softball women’s national team selection camp from Jan. 1-5 in Clearwater, Fla.
• Mackenzie Padington of the Gophers was named the Big Ten women’s swimmer and freshman of the week. The native of Campbell River, British Columbia, won the 200- and 500-yard freestyles and swam on the 200 freestyle relay, whose first-place finish gave Minnesota a win at Florida State in the season opener.
• Rich Stenger was promoted from assistant coach to associate head coach of the Gophers women’s gymnastics team.
• The Gophers wrestling team will hold an open practice Saturday, Oct. 28 at the Maturi Pavilion. There will be weigh ins at 9 a.m., with typical warm-ups and drills. Wrestling will start at 10 a.m. Each wrestler will compete in three matches to simulate a tournament.
• Larry Norland of Greenhaven GC will play Dale Jones of Mendakota CC in the final of the Minnesota PGA Senior Match Play Championship at Somerset Country Club. Both won 2 and 1 in their semifinal matches. Norland edged John Cleary, Jones beat Dave Nordeen.