In it's latest round of cleanup grants -- which total $3.3 million -- the Minnesota Department of Employment and Economic Development has included a number of commercial real estate projects in the Twin Cities.

DEED cleanup grants are awarded twice a year and account for about 75 percent of the funding used for reclaiming polluted sites and brownfields across the state. (The remaining 25 percent comes from the Metropolitan Council, cities, counties, other government entities, private landowners and developers.)

Here are some of the larger commercial projects included in this round:

City of Fridley, former Naval Industrial Reserve Ordnance Plant, $835,000. The city's Housing and Redevelopment Authority was awarded the funds to clean up a 30-acre portion of the former NIROP site, which is contaminated with petroleum and other pollutants.

City of Minneapolis, 301 Washington Ave., $472,845: This is for a 1.13-acre site contaminated with petroleum and other pollutants. A former gas station, the site will be developed into a 319-unit, 14-story apartment building with close to 10,000 square feet of commercial/retail space. The developer is Minneapolis-based Alatus LLC.

City of Minneapolis, Downtown East site, $787107: This will help clean up a 3.3-acre site contaminated with petroleum and other pollutants from a previous gas station, printing company and other businesses. This is land currently owned by the Star Tribune and is part of Ryan Cos. $400 million mixed-use development.

City of Minneapolis, Seward Commons Phase III site, $388,400: This one-acre site, contaminated with petroleum and other pollutants, is the former site of a metal-machining operation. It will be redeveloped into 85 market-rate apartments with 1,500 square feet of commercial space.

City of Minneapolis, Shapco Printing site, $520,320: This 1.2-acre site is contaminated with solvents, metals and other pollutants related to a printing operation. It will be turned into 250,000 square feet of single-tenant office space. The site is slated to become the new headquarters for Be the Match headquarters, a national bone-marrow donation organization.

City of Minneapolis, WaHu student housing, $222,280: This site, which housed a restaurant and plasma center, will be redeveloped into 30,500-square-feet of commercial space and 333 units of housing. An initial grant of $460,895 was awarded in December 2012 by DEED.

Janet Moore covers commercial real estate for the Star Tribune.

Older Post

Get a first look at the Nic on Fifth luxury apartments in downtown Minneapolis

Newer Post

Former Jimmy Jam house sells at auction for $2.6 million