Page 2 of 2 Previous
• New Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino and his staff didn’t take Sunday off, hosting several recruits in their Bierman Building offices. One player who was scheduled to be on hand was Apple Valley superstar point guard Tyus Jones.
• Gophers baseball coach John Anderson won his 500th career Big Ten game Sunday with a 7-1 victory over Northwestern. The Gophers got a three-game sweep this weekend to get their coach his milestone victory.
• While Gophers hockey coach Don Lucia lost five outstanding players to the NHL, the Gophers coach will host an outstanding freshman class this fall. This group includes Taylor Cammarata of Plymouth, who led all USHL scorers with 38 goals and 55 assists for 93 points in 59 games for Waterloo. The runner-up in scoring was Cammarata’s teammate, Justin Kloos of Lakeville, who came up with 29 goals and 58 assists for 87 points. Then you have two of Lou Nanne grandkids in Vinni Lettieri, who finished 23rd in the league with 28 goals and 28 assists in 61 games, and Louie Nanne Jr., who played for the Penticton Vees of the British Columbia Hockey League after the Edina season ended, scored 19 goals and had 22 assists in 45 games.
• The new basketball coach at Furman is former Gophers assistant Niko Medved. Medved, who graduated from Minnesota and was on the coaching staff in 1992, spent seven years as a Furman assistant before going to Colorado State, where he served as interim coach.
• NFL.com reported Sunday that cornerback Antoine Winfield signed with the Seahawks over the Vikings, who released him after last season, even though Minnesota offered him more guaranteed money.
• G.G. Smith, the son of former Gophers basketball coach Tubby Smith, was named head coach at Loyola University on Friday, after serving as an assistant there for six years. Tubby was quoted as saying: “It is a great day for the Smith family. I am really proud of G.G., not only as his mentor and father, but also as his former college coach, watching him grow and mature into the person he is today.”
• St. Cloud State star and Hobey Baker award winner Drew LeBlanc of Hermantown, Minn., has signed a contract with the Chicago Blackhawks, while Huskies teammate Ben Hanowski of Little Falls signed a deal with the Calgary Flames.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org
|Coll of Charleston||65|
|(22) George Washington||80|
|(12) Texas A&M||63||FINAL|
|(11) Miss State||55|
|(4) Notre Dame||67||FINAL|
|William & Mary||62|
|(15) North Carolina||80||FINAL|
|(9) Florida State||69||FINAL|
|(10) Arizona State||59|
|(2) South Carolina||56||FINAL|