Page 2 of 2 Previous

Continued: NHL labor talks hit snag as sides don't get back together for full bargaining session

  • Article by: IRA PODELL , Associated Press
  • Last update: January 4, 2013 - 4:30 AM
  • share

    email

NEW YORK - If there is going to be a hockey season, the NHL and the players' association can't afford many more days like this.

A long night of bargaining Wednesday that stretched into the early morning hours didn't end well and likely kept the sides apart for most of the day Thursday. No new full-scale negotiations took place, and outside of a few relatively brief, small sessions on specific topics, it was basically a lost day.

This is now January, and time is limited to reach a deal that would allow for a shortened hockey season. An agreement this week could have led to a 52-game season. That seems all but lost now.

If the sides can't find common ground within the next week, a 48-game season — the shortest NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman said the league would play — will become impossible, too.

The tenor of the talks appeared to take a downward turn late Wednesday after the players' association passed on declaring a disclaimer of interest that would have dissolved the union and turned it into a trade association.

The discord carried over to Thursday morning, when Bettman had said he expected to resume negotiations at 10 a.m. at the request of a federal mediator, but the union was holding internal meetings then and didn't arrive at the league office until a few hours later.

And when players and staff did get there, they did so without executive director Donald Fehr. The group discussed a problem that arose regarding the reporting by clubs of hockey-related revenue, and how both sides sign off on the figures at the end of the fiscal year. The union felt the language had been changed without proper notification, but the dispute was solved and the meeting ended in about an hour.

The wait for more elaborate talks went on, and didn't end until the players returned — again without Fehr — for a small meeting about the contentious pension plan. That one lasted just under two hours, and again the waiting game ensued.

But this time there wouldn't be any talks, big or little. Neither side issued a statement, and Bettman was seen leaving league headquarters shortly after 9 p.m.

An NHL spokesman said discussions would resume between the NHL, the union and federal mediator Scot Beckenbaugh on Friday morning.

The players' association held a late afternoon conference call to initiate another vote among union membership that would give the executive board the power to invoke a disclaimer of interest.

Members gave overwhelming approval last month, but the union declined to disclaim before a self-imposed deadline Wednesday night. It wasn't immediately known when a new authorization would expire. Players are expected to have 48 hours to vote, as opposed to the five days they were given the first time.

With the lockout in its 110th day, both sides understand the urgency to save a shortened season. They have several key issues to work out — pensions and salary cap limits, among them.

Bettman has said a deal needs to be in place by next week so a 48-game season can begin Jan. 19. All games through Jan. 14 along with the All-Star game have been canceled, claiming more than 50 percent of the original schedule.

It was believed the union wouldn't take action Wednesday if it saw progress being made. Neither side would characterize the talks or say if there was any movement toward common ground.

"There's been some progress but we're still apart on a number of issues," Bettman said Wednesday. "As long as the process continues I am hopeful."

That optimism took a hit on Thursday.

The NHLPA filed a motion in federal court in New York seeking to dismiss the league's suit to have the lockout declared legal. The NHL sued the union in mid-December, figuring the players were about to submit their own complaint against the league and possibly break up their union to gain an upper hand.

But the union argued that the NHL is using this suit "to force the players to remain in a union. Not only is it virtually unheard of for an employer to insist on the unionization of its employees, it is also directly contradicted by the rights guaranteed to employees under ... the National Labor Relations Act."

The court scheduled a status conference for the sides on Monday morning.

That would still give them time to get back to the table and reach a deal. There won't be one, however, if they can't resolve the differences regarding the players' pension.

Bettman called the pension plan a "very complicated issue."

"The number of variables and the number of issues that have to be addressed by people who carry the title actuary or pension lawyer are pretty numerous and it's pretty easy to get off track," Bettman said. "That is something we understand is important to the players."

The union's proposal Wednesday made it four offers between the sides since the NHL restarted negotiations with a proposal a week ago. The league presented the players with a counteroffer Tuesday night in response to one the union made Monday.

Fehr believed an agreement on a players-funded pension had been reached before talks blew up in early December. That apparently wasn't the case, or the NHL has changed its offer regarding the pension in exchange for agreeing to other things the union wanted.

The salary-cap number for the second year of the deal — the 2013-14 season — hasn't been established, and it is another point of contention. The league is pushing for a $60 million cap, while the union wants it to be $65 million.

In return for the higher cap number players would be willing to forgo a cap on escrow.

"We talk about lots of things and we even had some philosophical discussions about why particular issues were important to each of us," Bettman said. "That is part of the process."

Both sides seem content on the deal lasting for 10 years, but they have different opinions on whether an opt-out should be allowed to be exercised after seven years or eight.

The NHL proposed in its first offer on Dec. 27 that pension contributions come out of the players' share of revenues, and $50 million of the league's make-whole payment of $300 million will be allocated and set aside to fund potential underfunded liabilities of the plan at the end of the collective bargaining agreement.

Last month, the NHL agreed to raise its make-whole offer of deferred payments from $211 million to $300 million as part of a proposed package that required the union to agree on three nonnegotiable points. Instead, the union accepted the raise in funds, but then made counterproposals on the issues the league stated had no wiggle room.

"As you might expect, the differences between us relate to the core economic issues which don't involve the share," Fehr said of hockey-related revenue, which likely will be split 50-50.

The NHL is the only North American professional sports league to cancel a season because of a labor dispute, losing the 2004-05 campaign to a lockout. A 48-game season was played in 1995 after a lockout stretched into January.

  • related content

  • Gary Bettman

  • get related content delivered to your inbox

  • manage my email subscriptions
  • share

    email

ADVERTISEMENT

Cincinnati 1/5/13 3:30 PM
Houston
Minnesota 1/5/13 7:00 PM
Green Bay
Indianapolis 1/6/13 12:00 PM
Baltimore
Seattle 1/6/13 3:30 PM
Washington
Cleveland 106 FINAL
Charlotte 104
Brooklyn 115 FINAL
Washington 113
Sacramento 105 FINAL
Toronto 96
Atlanta 84 FINAL
Detroit 85
Chicago 96 FINAL
Miami 89
Indiana 75 FINAL
Boston 94
Philadelphia 85 FINAL
Oklahoma City 109
Portland 86 FINAL
Memphis 84
Houston 115 FINAL
Milwaukee 101
Utah 87 FINAL
Phoenix 80
LA Lakers 102 FINAL
LA Clippers 107
TX A&M-CC 57 FINAL
Sam Houston St 61
Yale 61 FINAL
Holy Cross 54
Manhattan 55 FINAL
Saint Peters 53
Iona 66 FINAL
Siena 62
George Washington 41 FINAL
Georgia 52
Brown 47 FINAL
Rhode Island 59
Cleveland State 50 FINAL
Valparaiso 74
Rider 65 FINAL
Loyola-Maryland 71
Wofford 48 FINAL
Tulane 62
Savannah State 59 FINAL
Saint Louis 67
Memphis 85 FINAL
Tennessee 80
Texas Southern 57 FINAL
Alcorn State 48
Grambling St 56 FINAL
Alabama State 69
Jackson State 87 FINAL
Alabama A&M 88
Prairie View 45 FINAL
Southern U 50
Fordham 68 FINAL
Ole Miss 95
(5) Oregon 35 FINAL
(7) Kansas State 17
(10) Texas A&M 41 FINAL
(12) Oklahoma 13
Pittsburgh 1/5/13 12:00 PM
Ole Miss
(25) Kent State 1/6/13 8:00 PM
Arkansas State
(2) Alabama 1/7/13 7:30 PM
(1) Notre Dame
Siena 62 FINAL
Canisius 65
Fordham 71 FINAL
American Univ 50
TX A&M-CC 46 FINAL
Sam Houston St 65
Jackson State 48 FINAL
Alabama A&M 66
Grambling 60 FINAL
Alabama State 68
Texas Southern 61 FINAL
Alcorn State 45
Prairie View 55 FINAL
Southern U 60
Navy 59 FINAL
Richmond 65
Youngstown St 58 FINAL
VA Commonwealth 45
Temple 58 FINAL
Howard 61
Loyola-Maryland 54 FINAL
Fairfield 64
Iona 76 FINAL
Niagara 65
UCF 59 FINAL
Bowling Green 56
Marist 62 FINAL
Rider 47
Bradley 54 FINAL
Indiana State 55
Northern Iowa 41 FINAL
Illinois State 72
(7) California 55 FINAL
Utah 50
SD Mines & Tech 53 FINAL
Colorado State 97
USC 56 FINAL
Oregon State 55
(16) UCLA 89 FINAL
Oregon 80
Arizona 71 FINAL
Washington St 65
Arizona State 74 FINAL
Washington 77
(4) Stanford 57 FINAL
(20) Colorado 40

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

question of the day

Poll: Who did the best coaching job in Minnesota sports in 2012?

Weekly Question
 
Close