Matt Vensel is in his first year at the Star Tribune after covering the Ravens for the Baltimore Sun for six years. He is a Pittsburgh native and a Penn State grad. Follow him at @mattvensel.


Mark Craig has covered the NFL for 23 years, and the Vikings since 2003 for the Star Tribune. He is one of 44 Pro Football Hall of Fame selectors. Follow him at @markcraignfl.


Master Tesfatsion is the Star Tribune’s digital Vikings writer. He is a 2013 graduate of Arizona State and worked for mlb.com before arriving in Minneapolis. Follow him at @masterstrib.


Favre throwing again at Oak Grove

Posted by: under Vikings, NFC, Brett Favre, Vikings quarterbacks Updated: July 1, 2010 - 3:27 PM

Brett Favre hasn't told the Vikings if he will play this season but he continues to go about his business as if he has every intention of honoring the second year of his contract.

The latest indication has been the fact Favre has been throwing to wide receivers at Oak Grove High School in Hattiesburg, Miss. Favre did the same thing last year as he attempted to decide whether to join the Vikings.

Nevil Barr, the coach at Oak Grove, said that Favre was on the field Thursday morning throwing passes to the high school receivers. According to Barr, Favre began making occasional appearances at the high school to throw shortly after he underwent arthroscopic surgery on his left ankle in late May.

"His arm is great like always," Barr told the Star Tribune. "As far as how his ankle is I haven't heard him say anything about it. We don't ask him a whole lot on that."

Barr said he and his players don't ask Favre a lot of questions about whether he will return, although they are hoping he spends another season in Minnesota. 

"We hope he keeps playing just because I enjoy watching the NFL when he's playing and so do all the kids," Barr said. "We will support him on whatever he wants to do. But we like and respect him and don't ask what he's going to do. We know he'll make the best decision for himself and his family and his team."

Favre told the Sun Herald of Biloxi last month that he still can perform at a high level and said he would love to beat the Saints in a rematch of the NFC title game on Sept. 9 in New Orleans.

"If my body was a wreck, the decision would be made," Favre told the newspaper. "But that is not the case. I know [the Vikings] want to know. Hell, I want to know. But I am not going to press it. If I do not play, it does not cost the Vikings a dime. They keep the $13 million [that he is due to make]. I know they have confidence in the players they have. They had a chance to draft [Notre Dame quarterback Jimmy] Clausen in the first round, but they didn't want one."

Barr said there is no set schedule for when Favre decides to throw but not surprisingly the future Hall of Fame quarterback is always welcome.

"His being out there is just good for the kids for a number of reasons," Barr said. "The leadership that he brings and just the work ethic. He's always been good for them and we love having him out there. He is the kind of guy you want around your kids."

ADVERTISEMENT

Connect with twitterConnect with facebookConnect with Google+Connect with PinterestConnect with PinterestConnect with RssfeedConnect with email newsletters

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT

ADVERTISEMENT