Page 2 of 2 Previous
“That’s really important because at the major league level guys that just throw, throw, throw, they tend to not do so well. So having those guys that have power arms and have pitching ability and know what they want to do is always a plus.”
Meanwhile, Suzuki said Gibson has been steady all season, but he couldn’t say why the 26-year-old righthander had been so much better at home than on the road. He is 4-1 with a 1.54 ERA and .213 batting average against at home, and even after Friday’s seven excellent innings in a 2-0 victory at Detroit, he is still only 2-4 with a 5.91 ERA and .275 average against on the road.
“I don’t think there is any one thing that really causes those splits,” Suzuki said. “It’s just sometimes guys get a little bit more luck at home. He has been throwing great all year, it’s just one of those things you can’t really explain.”
Lucia likes freshmen
Gophers men’s hockey coach Don Lucia looks for help from a number of freshmen next season.
“On defense we have Steve Johnson, who is from Minnetonka, and Jack Glover and Ryan Collins both played on the U.S. national team developmental program,” Lucia said. “Leon Bristedt, our young man from Sweden who is actually going to be in Lake Placid this summer with the Swedish team that will be contending for spots in the world junior team … we think he has a chance to be a real good player. Those four are probably the ones that we’re really looking to continue to make our team better this year.”
• Las Vegas oddsmakers expect the Vikings to be underdogs in at least four of their first five games, including the first three: at St. Louis, New England at home and at New Orleans, as well as at Green Bay in Week 5. The Patriots, Saints and Packers were playoff teams last year.
• The three finalists to manage the new Vikings stadium are the Anschutz Entertainment Group, Global Spectrum and SMG.
• Former Gophers basketball player Trevor Mbakwe wrapped up a solid season playing for Virtus Roma in Italy last week. He averaged 10.6 points and 10.1 rebounds over 37 games. He added 1.5 blocks per contest, but the Timberwolves have no interest in signing him. … Former Gophers guard Austin Hollins had a recent tryout with the Wolves, but he won’t receive an invitation to play with their summer league team in Las Vegas.
• Vikings cornerback Jabari Price reported his lone college visit out of high school in Pompano Beach, Fla., was to Minnesota and he committed to the Gophers, but the seventh-round draft pick backed out at the last minute and enrolled at North Carolina instead.
• One problem Michael Cuddyer has had over his career is missing games because of injuries, and the former Twins star is now unlikely to appear in the All-Star Game after going on the disabled list for the second time this year with Colorado. He missed 28 days earlier this season because of a strained hamstring and now he is out six to eight weeks after injuring his left shoulder diving while playing third base.
• Major League Baseball has sold upward of 90,000 tickets for the All-Star Fan Fest July 11-15 at the Minneapolis Convention Center. It’s expected that around 110,000 people will attend the event, which will feature dozens of Hall of Famers and Twins legends.
|Team Irvin||7:15 PM|
|Oklahoma City||96||4th Qtr 1:14|
|LA Clippers||5:00 PM|
|Team Toews||3||1st Prd 3:36|
|Northern Iowa||51||2nd Half 0:43|
|Louisville||66||2nd Half 3:45|
|UMBC||28||2nd Half 15:54|
|Notre Dame||5:30 PM|
|Coll of Charleston||53|
|William & Mary||57|
|(17) Florida State||110|
|Colorado||65||2nd Half 4:56|
|(14) Kentucky||73||2nd Half 5:06|
|(9) Oregon State||67||2nd Half 1:00|
|(13) Arizona State||51|
|Vermont||42||2nd Half 13:26|
|Iowa State||34||2nd Half|
|Southern Ill||29||2nd Half|
|(15) Duke||23||1st Half 3:50|
|(12) North Carolina||32|
|Miami-Florida||29||1st Half 2:51|
|(21) Minnesota||9||1st Half 7:59|
|(11) Stanford||7:00 PM|
|Aug 8 - vs. Oakland||7 pm||X||10-6|
|Aug 16 - vs. Arizona||7:30 pm||X||30-28|
|Aug 23 - at Kansas City||7 pm||X||30-12|
|Aug 28 - at Tennessee||7 pm||X||19-3|
|2014 regular season|
|Sep 7 - at St. Louis||Noon||X||34-6|
|Sep 14 - vs. New England||Noon||X||30-7|
|Sep 21 - at New Orleans||Noon||X||20-9|
|Sep 28 - vs. Atlanta||3:25 pm||X||41-28|
|Oct 2 - at Green Bay||7:25 pm||X||42-10|
|Oct 12 - vs. Detroit||Noon||X||17-3|
|Oct 19 - at. Buffalo||Noon||X||17-16|
|Oct 26 - at Tampa Bay||Noon||X||19-13 ot|
|Nov 2 - vs. Washington||Noon||X||29-26|
|Nov 9 - Bye|
|Nov 16 - at Chicago||Noon||X||21-13|
|Nov. 23 - vs. Green Bay||Noon||X||24-21|
|Nov. 30 - vs. Carolina||Noon||X||31-13|
|Dec 7 - vs. NY Jets||Noon||X||30-24 ot|
|Dec 14 - at Detroit||3:25 pm||X||16-14|
|Dec 21 - at Miami||Noon||X||37-35|
|Dec 28 - vs. Chicago||Noon||X||13-9|