Vikings suite sales
The Vikings’ new stadium preview center has been open for only three months and already half the suites have been sold. The Vikings and Van Wagner Sports and Entertainment, the sales agency overseeing the process, had already sold 49 suites before last week’s Super Bowl LII announcement — the purchase of a suite guarantees the right to purchase 2018 Super Bowl tickets. Only 36 of the 116 planned suites remain for sale; the rest are reserved for team sponsors.
Of the six suite types, the most popular has been the Norseman Suites, which are located on the main concourse level. Twenty-one of the 27 Norseman Suites have been sold. All eight Touchdown Suites, which are located in the east end zone, have been sold.
• There is good news from the Twins’ Class AAA Rochester farm team, which has much better players this year and a 27-23 record. This is the first time the Red Wings have been over .500 at this point in the season since 2009. One of the reasons for the improvement is the great pitching of Alex Meyer, who came to the Twins from Washington in the Denard Span trade in November of 2012. Meyer is 3-1 with a 3.31 ERA.
• Because the Vikings have a new coaching staff, they will have four minicamps rather than the normal three. The dates are May 28-30, June 3-5, June 9-12 and then a mandatory camp June 17-19.
• Former Twins center fielder Ben Revere hit a home run for the Phillies on Tuesday. It was his first home run in 1,466 major league at-bats, the longest homerless streak since 1977. Revere is hitting .288 with 21 runs scored and 12 stolen bases in 43 games.
• The Vikings still have four former defensive players looking for work: defensive tackle Kevin Williams and linebackers Desmond Bishop, Marvin Mitchell and Erin Henderson. With the news that Cowboys linebacker Sean Lee tore his ACL early this week, one of those former Vikings linebackers might end up there.
• Former Cooper standout and future UNLV guard Rashad Vaughn has been invited to try out for USA Basketball’s 2014 Under-18 Men’s National Team. The tryouts will take place June 10-19 in Colorado Springs.
• Former Twins first baseman Justin Morneau finally seems to be over his injuries and is playing great with the Rockies. Entering Wednesday, Morneau was ninth in the NL in RBI (32) and slugging percentage (.538) and 10th in home runs with nine. … Michael Cuddyer, Morneau’s teammate and another former Twin, is back in the lineup after missing 28 games because of a sore hamstring. Cuddyer has hit .323 with two home runs, three RBI and three runs scored in eight games since coming back.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 7:40, 8:40 and 9:20 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org