Page 2 of 2 Previous
It is amazing the respect the NBA owners and Commissioner Adam Silver have for Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor. Taylor served five years as chairman of the NBA’s Board of Governors and then when his successor, Spurs owner Peter Holt, resigned the position in mid-April because of personal reasons, Taylor was brought back on an interim basis.
Now Taylor is involved and in the middle of the national issue surrounding Silver’s lifetime ban of Clippers owner Donald Sterling and the NBA’s attempt to force Sterling to sell the team.
• Finance and Commerce reports that the Burnsville office of PCL Construction Services, in a teaming with Shawn-Lindquist Associates, and Mortenson Construction are the finalists for the $97 million remodeling contract of Target Center that will include improving the concourses, lobbies, entrances, lighting and audio-visual equipment and adding loading docks. The Minneapolis City Council is expected to name the contractor early in May.
• Gophers basketball coach Richard Pitino was asked to describe his 2014 recruiting class of six players: “I think more than anything I think when we got here, we wanted to find a way to build kind of the way our team wants to play with athleticism, speed. I think we’ve successfully been able to do that. Year 1 certainly helped with the success that we had, it became a little easier talking to people about the year that we had. They saw us, they watched us. It’s never going to be easy, but it was certainly less difficult than when we arrived [in 2013], coming late to the party.”
• Michael Handel, the son of Gophers associate athletic director Randy Handel, is the starting shortstop for the Gophers baseball team.
• All of the Gophers football and basketball players are expected to be in summer school. The football players are not allowed to practice under the supervision of coaches; the basketball team is allowed to have limited practices under the coaches.
• Two incoming Gophers hockey recruits, Jack Glover and Ryan Collins, helped the U.S. to the gold medal at the 2014 International Ice Hockey Federation Men’s Under-18 World Championships in Lappeenranta, Finland, over the weekend with a 5-2 victory over the Czech Republic. Glover had a goal and two assists in the tournament, while Collins had a couple of assists, including one in the gold medal game. Both have played with the U.S. National Developmental Program in Ann Arbor, Mich., for the past couple of seasons.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 7:40, 8:40 and 9:20 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. email@example.com
|Kansas City - J. Guthrie||5:10 PM|
|Cleveland - T. Bauer|
|Toronto - D. Hutchison||5:10 PM|
|Boston - C. Buchholz|
|Chicago WSox - J. Samardzija||6:05 PM|
|Baltimore - U. Jimenez|
|Tampa Bay - J. Odorizzi||6:05 PM|
|NY Yankees - C. Whitley|
|Washington - A. Cole||6:10 PM|
|Atlanta - J. Teheran|
|NY Mets - R. Montero||6:10 PM|
|Miami - D. Phelps|
|Milwaukee - K. Lohse||6:10 PM|
|Cincinnati - J. Cueto|
|Pittsburgh - J. Locke||7:05 PM|
|Chicago Cubs - T. Wood|
|Seattle - J. Happ||7:05 PM|
|Texas - R. Detwiler|
|Detroit - A. Sanchez||7:10 PM|
|Minnesota - M. Pelfrey|
|Philadelphia - S. Gonzalez||7:15 PM|
|St. Louis - M. Wacha|
|Colorado - K. Kendrick||8:40 PM|
|Arizona - A. Bradley|
|LA Angels - J. Weaver||9:05 PM|
|Oakland - S. Gray|
|Houston - R. Hernandez||9:10 PM|
|San Diego - T. Ross|
|San Francisco - M. Bumgarner||9:10 PM|
|Los Angeles - C. Kershaw|
|San Antonio||9:30 PM|