Page 2 of 2 Previous
• Mike Sherels, whom Gophers coach Jerry Kill promoted from the recruiting department to linebackers coach, was ranked as one of the smarter football players during his playing days with the team, and he won a number of awards while wearing the maroon and gold. As a senior he received the Neil Fredenburg Award for courage and love of the game. The year before, he was honored with the Carl Eller Award as the Gophers’ outstanding defensive player and the Paul Giel Award for unselfishness and most concern about the University of Minnesota.
• The Vikings cut ties with tight end John Carlson, the Litchfield High School product who had a rough two seasons in purple while battling injuries. Carlson ended up with the Arizona Cardinals on a two-year contract. He told azcentral.com: “It’s been a busy week. My wife is 37 weeks pregnant, as well, with our third child. It’s been a good week.” Carlson will get to play alongside another local NFL star in wide receiver Larry Fitzgerald of Holy Angels.
• Brian Bellows, the No. 2 overall pick in the 1982 NHL draft by the North Stars who became one of their great players, is the father of Kieffer Bellows, a sophomore on Class 2A boys’ hockey champion Edina. According to the opinion of some real hockey experts, he has a chance to be better than his dad.
• Timberwolves guard Kevin Martin has 26 games in which he has scored at least 20 points after doing this only 10 times last season while with the Oklahoma City Thunder. … For one of the few times this season, Wolves coach Rick Adelman played guards Ricky Rubio and J.J. Barea together against Milwaukee on Tuesday, and because it was effective, that combination might be used more the rest of the season. “It gives us two ballhandlers and makes it harder for the other team to guard us,” Adelman said.
• The Gophers’ Mike Reilly leads Big Ten defensemen in goals (eight), assists (20) and points (28). He had four assists in two games at Ohio State last weekend and was named the third star of the week in the Big Ten.
• Former Gophers pitcher Seth Rosin — who was drafted by the Giants, traded to the Phillies in 2012, selected by the Mets in the Rule 5 draft in December and then traded to the Dodgers — is having a great spring training. He has a 0.00 ERA in eight innings over three games with Los Angeles, which must keep him for the entire season or offer him back to Philadelphia.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org
|Univ of Minnesota||1||FINAL|
|SE Missouri St||74||FINAL|
|Mount St Marys||58|
|New Mexico St||69||FINAL|
|San Jose St||51|
|San Diego St||60||FINAL|
|UC Santa Barbara||98||FINAL|
|Coll of Charleston||58||FINAL|
|William & Mary||68|
|Aug 8 - vs. Oakland||7 pm||X||10-6|
|Aug 16 - vs. Arizona||7:30 pm||X||30-28|
|Aug 23 - at Kansas City||7 pm||X||30-12|
|Aug 28 - at Tennessee||7 pm||X||19-3|
|2014 regular season|
|Sep 7 - at St. Louis||Noon||X||34-6|
|Sep 14 - vs. New England||Noon||X||30-7|
|Sep 21 - at New Orleans||Noon||X||20-9|
|Sep 28 - vs. Atlanta||3:25 pm||X||41-28|
|Oct 2 - at Green Bay||7:25 pm||X||42-10|
|Oct 12 - vs. Detroit||Noon||X||17-3|
|Oct 19 - at. Buffalo||Noon||X||17-16|
|Oct 26 - at Tampa Bay||Noon||X||19-13 ot|
|Nov 2 - vs. Washington||Noon||X||29-26|
|Nov 9 - Bye|
|Nov 16 - at Chicago||Noon||X||21-13|
|Nov. 23 - vs. Green Bay||Noon||X||24-21|
|Nov. 30 - vs. Carolina||Noon||X||31-13|
|Dec 7 - vs. NY Jets||Noon||X||30-24 ot|
|Dec 14 - at Detroit||3:25 pm||X||16-14|
|Dec 21 - at Miami||Noon||X||37-35|
|Dec 28 - vs. Chicago||Noon||X||13-9|
Poll: Who is doing the best job coaching a Minnesota pro sports team?