Page 2 of 2 Previous
“He completed academics early and was able to transfer,” Cole said. “It’s just one of those NCAA rules, so he went [to Wisconsin] and went to the Rose Bowl.”
What was his impression of Wilson?
“He was great,” said Cole, who is not surprised at Wilson’s success in the NFL. “I mean, he does exactly what you see him do still. Very elusive, scrambles around the pocket looking to make the throw, really good at getting the first down when needed.”
The big concern some NFL scouts had about Wilson coming out of college was his height (5-11), something Cole said was never an issue at North Carolina State.
“I don’t think there was ever a person that had a concern with Russell’s height at our school because we all knew what kind of player he was,” Cole said. “He’s an excellent player and he makes plays and he gets stuff done. He’s a great leader on top of that.”
• The recent appointment of Lou Nanne as the lead fundraiser for the Gophers athletic department was a stroke of genius. Nobody knows more Gophers fans, and the man doesn’t have an enemy in the world. On top of that, his past experience as general manager of the North Stars will come in handy when talking finances with potential donors.
• While some people were optimistic the Vikings would have another good season after going 10-6 in 2012, the line in May by Las Vegas bookmakers had the Vikings favored to win only five games this year.
• Twins General Manager Terry Ryan on former Twin and rumored free-agent target Matt Garza: “He is still out there and we’ve certainly had contact not only with Matt but a lot of pitchers. Any pitcher that is out there that has any ability at all, we certainly approached and talked with and addressed and so forth. Whether or not we [sign] any more is going to be something that we decide on in the near future, we hope.”
• The Timberwolves-Spurs game in Mexico City that was postponed Dec. 4 because of smoke from a generator fire outside the arena will be played April 8 at Target Center.
• Wolves owner Glen Taylor was asked if the Wolves will be paid for the game in Mexico, because it was their “home” game. “That’s up in the air,” Taylor said. “We were going to get paid when it was down there. It’s one of the things I need to work with the NBA and see how we resolve this issue.” Taylor said the Wolves most likely won’t play in Mexico next season, but two other NBA teams will play and it will be televised in South America and Central America.
• Gophers football players who will not play against Syracuse in the Texas Bowl on Dec. 27 include players who are recovering from surgery such as center Jon Christenson (leg), cornerback Briean Boddy-Calhoun (knee), wide receiver Derrick Engel (knee) and quarterback Chris Streveler (hand), who wouldn’t play even if he was healthy because he is being redshirted. Boddy-Calhoun, who missed most of the season, is likely to not lose a year of eligibility and should have two more years remaining.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. email@example.com
|New England||2/1/15 5:30 PM|
|Stephen F Austin||82||FINAL|
|Sam Houston St||80||FINAL|
|Miss Valley St||84|
|Central Conn St||51||FINAL|
|Miss Valley St||52|
|(12) Texas A&M||61||FINAL|
|(1) South Carolina||79|
|Mount St Marys||44|
|East Tenn St||72||FINAL|
|(18) Miss State||59||FINAL|
|Aug 8 - vs. Oakland||7 pm||X||10-6|
|Aug 16 - vs. Arizona||7:30 pm||X||30-28|
|Aug 23 - at Kansas City||7 pm||X||30-12|
|Aug 28 - at Tennessee||7 pm||X||19-3|
|2014 regular season|
|Sep 7 - at St. Louis||Noon||X||34-6|
|Sep 14 - vs. New England||Noon||X||30-7|
|Sep 21 - at New Orleans||Noon||X||20-9|
|Sep 28 - vs. Atlanta||3:25 pm||X||41-28|
|Oct 2 - at Green Bay||7:25 pm||X||42-10|
|Oct 12 - vs. Detroit||Noon||X||17-3|
|Oct 19 - at. Buffalo||Noon||X||17-16|
|Oct 26 - at Tampa Bay||Noon||X||19-13 ot|
|Nov 2 - vs. Washington||Noon||X||29-26|
|Nov 9 - Bye|
|Nov 16 - at Chicago||Noon||X||21-13|
|Nov. 23 - vs. Green Bay||Noon||X||24-21|
|Nov. 30 - vs. Carolina||Noon||X||31-13|
|Dec 7 - vs. NY Jets||Noon||X||30-24 ot|
|Dec 14 - at Detroit||3:25 pm||X||16-14|
|Dec 21 - at Miami||Noon||X||37-35|
|Dec 28 - vs. Chicago||Noon||X||13-9|