ABOUT THE GIANTS record: 0-6
• The Giants have given up 30 or more points in each of their past five games, tying an NFL record.
• New York swapped a late-round draft choice for Carolina LB Jon Beason on Oct. 4, and he led the Giants with 12 tackles in last Thursday’s 27-21 loss in Chicago.
• After losing DE Osi Omenyoria in free agency to Atlanta and seeing DE Jean-Pierre Paul (back surgery) slowed, the Giants have only five sacks in six games.
• New York has an NFL-high 23 turnovers, two more than it had all last season, when it was 9-7.
• Brandon Jacobs had 106 rushing yards vs. Chicago as RBs David Wilson (neck) and Da’Rel Scott (hamstring) are injured.
• Pro Bowl right guard Chris Snee (hip) has been lost for the season.
Player SPEAK QB ELI MANNING
• The two-time Super Bowl MVP is in his 10th season, and it hasn’t gone well. Manning had 15 interceptions last year — and already has 15 this season. He’s fifth in the league in passing yardage but is 34th in passer rating and has been sacked 16 times.
• On the worst Giants’ start since 1976 … “We’re three games back in the division with 10 to go. There’s a lot of football to be played. But we have to get that first win, and you hate to be saying that in Week 7.”
• On his rough start … “Our mistakes are hurting us, and the mistakes aren’t just a missed play. They are turnovers and missed opportunities for big plays.”
• On his track record … “It doesn’t get easier. After 10 years you can still go through battles and learn lessons. I’ve got to get my play where it needs to be.”
coach speak TOM COUGHLIN
• The 67-year old Coughlin is in his 18th season as an NFL head coach and 10th with the Giants. His 151 regular-season victories are 17th most in league history. But he has been stuck there since the season started, and the team’s minus-16 takeaway ratio is the major reason.
• On turnovers … “We’re careless with the football and that strikes right at my gut, because that’s one of the thing that we preach about the most. So I’m going to state that we’re going to improve, we’re going to be better at this, and when we do, we’ll start to see the checkered flag.”
• On Manning … “Eli is being blamed far and away too much for the interceptions. It’s a team concept, and you do need to be properly protected … we’ve had some communications breakdowns. If we’d take better care of the football, it’d give us a great starting point.”
• On taking the blame … “I say I’m responsible; put it on my shoulders, I’m the head coach.”
|Miami - LP: B. Morris||4||FINAL|
|Washington - WP: M. Grace||6|
|NY Yankees - LP: C. Martin||1||FINAL|
|Toronto - WP: R. Dickey||3|
|Philadelphia - WP: A. Harang||5||FINAL|
|Atlanta - LP: A. Wood||2|
|Tampa Bay - WP: J. Odorizzi||5||FINAL|
|Boston - LP: C. Buchholz||1|
|Los Angeles - LP: C. Hatcher||3||FINAL|
|Milwaukee - WP: M. Blazek||4|
|Chicago Cubs - LP: P. Strop||9||FINAL|
|St. Louis - WP: M. Socolovich||10|
|Oakland - LP: J. Hahn||7||FINAL|
|Minnesota - WP: P. Hughes||8|
|Texas - WP: K. Kela||2||FINAL|
|Houston - LP: C. Qualls||1|
|Seattle - WP: F. Hernandez||3||FINAL|
|LA Angels - LP: M. Shoemaker||2|
|San Diego - LP: T. Ross||0||FINAL|
|San Francisco - WP: M. Bumgarner||2|