Page 2 of 2 Previous
Letroy Guion started in place of injured Kevin Williams, not rookie first-round pick Sharrif Floyd. Guion slid over from nose tackle and Fred Evans started in his place.
The move was not entirely surprising because a knee injury sidelined Floyd for most of the preseason. He entered the game on the second series and batted down one pass at the line.
Rookie cornerback Xavier Rhodes was called for pass interference on a throw to Calvin Johnson on a critical third-and-5 in the fourth quarter.
Rhodes said he thought the pass was uncatchable, but he had his hands on Johnson as the ball sailed out of bounds.
“I have to get my hands off the receiver,” Rhodes said. “I can’t give the referee a reason to throw the flag. I gave him a reason once I still had my hands on him.”
The penalty kept alive the Lions scoring drive that gave them a 10-point lead again.
• Adrian Peterson’s 78-yard touchdown run was the longest touchdown on a player’s first carry of a season since the 1970 merger, according to the NFL. It was Peterson’s sixth career run of 70-plus yards.
• Tight end Kyle Rudolph was targeted only four times and finished with two catches for 27 yards. Rookie first-round pick Cordarrelle Patterson was targeted once and caught a 10-yard pass.
• Blair Walsh tied Ryan Longwell’s team record with his 11th 50-plus-yard field goal. Walsh’s 52-yarder in the third quarter made him 11-for-11 on field-goal attempts of at least 50 yards in his 18-game NFL career.
• The Lions had three touchdowns overturned on reviews, including two by Reggie Bush on runs. However, the Lions scored ensuing touchdowns on two of those instances. On the first, a 20-yard touchdown catch by Johnson was nullified when replays show the ball hit the ground in the end zone. The Lions settled for a David Akers field goal.
• Erin Henderson, in his first game as the starting middle linebacker, led the team with 11 tackles. Safety Harrison Smith was second with 10, and also recovered a fumble.
|New England||7||2nd Qtr 7:55|
|North Dakota St||64||FINAL|
|Coll of Charleston||49||FINAL|
|(4) Notre Dame||92|
|William & Mary||72||FINAL|
|(16) North Carolina||72|
|(18) Miss State||67||FINAL|
|(12) Texas A&M||78|
|(11) Arizona State||58||FINAL|
|(1) South Carolina||77||FINAL|
|Aug 8 - vs. Oakland||7 pm||X||10-6|
|Aug 16 - vs. Arizona||7:30 pm||X||30-28|
|Aug 23 - at Kansas City||7 pm||X||30-12|
|Aug 28 - at Tennessee||7 pm||X||19-3|
|2014 regular season|
|Sep 7 - at St. Louis||Noon||X||34-6|
|Sep 14 - vs. New England||Noon||X||30-7|
|Sep 21 - at New Orleans||Noon||X||20-9|
|Sep 28 - vs. Atlanta||3:25 pm||X||41-28|
|Oct 2 - at Green Bay||7:25 pm||X||42-10|
|Oct 12 - vs. Detroit||Noon||X||17-3|
|Oct 19 - at. Buffalo||Noon||X||17-16|
|Oct 26 - at Tampa Bay||Noon||X||19-13 ot|
|Nov 2 - vs. Washington||Noon||X||29-26|
|Nov 9 - Bye|
|Nov 16 - at Chicago||Noon||X||21-13|
|Nov. 23 - vs. Green Bay||Noon||X||24-21|
|Nov. 30 - vs. Carolina||Noon||X||31-13|
|Dec 7 - vs. NY Jets||Noon||X||30-24 ot|
|Dec 14 - at Detroit||3:25 pm||X||16-14|
|Dec 21 - at Miami||Noon||X||37-35|
|Dec 28 - vs. Chicago||Noon||X||13-9|