“I just take it one step at a time, one day at a time, one play at a time, and hopefully it can turn out as a success.”
Webb said the move to wideout was fine with him, and hopefully he can help the team in other ways.
“If I get the opportunity to get on the field and run around and make a couple plays, I’m sure everyone will be happy for that.
“I’m OK with whatever is best for the team. I’m a team player. Whatever we have to do for us to get back into the playoffs and continue to win ballgames, I’m all for it.”
Webb is a free agent after this season, but he wants to succeed as a wide receiver and remain with the Vikings.
“I love Minnesota,” he said. “They’ve welcomed me like a son to a father, and it’s a great city. I love playing for the fans, and I think it’s a great fan base here, great atmosphere, great place to play.”
And what will he remember about his last game at quarterback against the Packers in the playoff loss?
“Green Bay is a great team, a great team and a tough environment,” he said. “That’s a game that I look back on, learn from my mistakes, and keep moving.’’
Webb as a receiver
In his collegiate and professional career Webb has caught 33 total passes for 480 yards and four touchdowns.
In his sophomore season at Alabama-Birmingham, Webb caught 30 passes for 459 yards and three touchdowns. He was primarily used at wide receiver that year but also spent time at quarterback. He caught two more passes for 12 yards, including a touchdown reception, in his senior season at UAB.
For the Vikings Webb has caught only one pass, a 9-yard reception in 2011. He was targeted five times that year as a wideout.
• Alex Foster, the Chicago basketball player who committed to Tubby Smith at Minnesota and had his scholarship withdrawn by Richard Pitino, the new Gophers coach, has now committed to Smith at Texas Tech.
• One factor going against the Wild’s chances of improving next year is the fact that it will play in a tougher division because of the NHL’s realignment. In the Northwest Divsion this year, the Wild regularly faced Edmonton, Calgary and Colorado, teams that finished 12th, 13th and 15th in the 15-team Western Conference. Next year, the Wild will be in a division that also includes playoff teams in Chicago and St. Louis.
• The Colorado Rockies placed former Twins outfielder Michael Cuddyer on the 15-day disabled list as he battles an inflamed disk in his neck. The Rockies believe Cuddyer, who is batting .319 with seven home runs and 23 RBI, will come off the disabled list as soon as he is able to on May 23.
• The Gophers basketball team’s new strength and conditioniong coach is Shaun Brown, who was last at Southern California but also worked at Kentucky from 1992 to ’97 and got to know Pitino at the time. And the strength coach Brown succeeded at Minnesota, Steve Felde, was quickly hired by Miami (Fla.).
• Former Gopher Trevor Mbakwe is one of 63 players working out this week at the NBA combine. Flip Saunders, the Timberwolves’s new president of basketball operations, is attending the combine along with a number of pro scouts.
|Chicago Cubs - WP: B. Parker||6||FINAL|
|Cincinnati - LP: J. Hoover||4|
|Philadelphia - WP: D. Buchanan||9||FINAL|
|Milwaukee - LP: M. Garza||1|
|Oakland - WP: S. Kazmir||6||FINAL|
|San Francisco - LP: T. Hudson||1|
|Chicago WSox - LP: R. Belisario||3||FINAL|
|Boston - WP: A. Miller||4|
|Washington - LP: G. Gonzalez||3||FINAL|
|Baltimore - WP: W. Chen||4|
|NY Yankees - LP: M. Thornton||3||FINAL|
|Cleveland - WP: C. Carrasco||9|
|Atlanta - WP: A. Harang||3||FINAL|
|NY Mets - LP: B. Colon||1|
|Pittsburgh - WP: E. Volquez||9||FINAL|
|St. Louis - LP: S. Miller||1|
|LA Angels - WP: H. Santiago||15||FINAL|
|Texas - LP: C. Lewis||6|
|Detroit - WP: D. Smyly||16||FINAL|
|Kansas City - LP: J. Guthrie||4|
|San Diego - LP: O. Despaigne||1||FINAL|
|Los Angeles - WP: C. Kershaw||2|
|Minnesota - WP: Y. Pino||4||FINAL|
|Seattle - LP: T. Wilhelmsen||2|
|Winnipeg||7/11/14 6:00 PM|
|Ottawa||7/11/14 9:00 PM|
|Calgary||7/12/14 5:30 PM|
|Brt Columbia||7/12/14 8:30 PM|
|Edmonton||7/17/14 7:30 PM|
|Toronto||7/18/14 6:00 PM|
|Hamilton||7/18/14 9:00 PM|
|Montreal||7/19/14 6:00 PM|
|Aug 8 - vs. Oakland||7 pm|
|Aug 16 - vs. Arizona||7:30 pm|
|Aug 23 - at Kansas City||7 pm|
|Aug 28 - at Tennessee||7 pm|
|2014 regular season|
|Sep 7 - at St. Louis||Noon|
|Sep 14 - vs. New England||Noon|
|Sep 21 - at New Orleans||Noon|
|Sep 28 - vs. Atlanta||3:25 pm|
|Oct 2 - at Green Bay||7:25 pm|
|Oct 12 - vs. Detroit||Noon|
|Oct 19 - at. Buffalo||Noon|
|Oct 26 - at Tampa Bay||Noon|
|Nov 2 - vs. Washington||Noon|
|Nov 9 - Bye|
|Nov 16 - at Chicago||Noon|
|Nov. 23 - vs. Green Bay||Noon|
|Nov. 30 - vs. Carolina||Noon|
|Dec 7 - vs. NY Jets||Noon|
|Dec 14 - at Detroit||Noon|
|Dec 21 - at Miami||Noon|
|Dec 28 - vs. Chicago||Noon|