• Twins General Manager Terry Ryan said first baseman Justin Morneau, who was hitting .235 heading into Thursday night’s game against Texas at Target Field, is capable of contributing more than he has this season. “He’s taken at-bats and he’s certainly a guy that is going to put fear in a pitcher, but I think he only has one home run,” Ryan said. “He’s hit some balls fairly well and some of them fell short in Target Field. But you know he’s going to be OK. He’s healthy and he’s certainly out there and he’s available and all the good things we were hoping when we went into the season.”
• Former Gophers basketball coach Tubby Smith was in the Twin Cities last weekend scouting some AAU games while looking for talent for his Texas Tech team.
• When asked if this was a wasted season, Timberwolves forward Kevin Love said: “We had so many high hopes for this season. But more than anything it’s about getting healthy, myself included. This is a big summer for us, a big summer for me. Hopefully in a month I will have a clean bill of health and I will be ready to go. I am definitely looking forward to that. I know this team is hungry and I’m hungry myself.”
• Vikings offensive line coach Jeff Davidson said that during the offseason, the offensive line is working on how to make NFL MVP Adrian Peterson even more effective than he was last year, when he rushed for 2,097 yards. “Well, Adrian does a lot of things pretty well on his own, too,” Davidson said. “One of the things we’ve been studying this offseason is how to make our scheme better. We’re always looking to improve and any way we can find to do that, and help him be more effective in the run game, we’re going to do that.”
• Former Wolves forward Gerald Green is having a great start to the playoffs with the Indiana Pacers. Green is averaging 13 points, one assist and 1.5 rebounds in two victories over Atlanta. … In Denver, former Wolves first-round draft pick Corey Brewer is averaging 14.5 points, 1.5 assists and one rebound in splitting two games against the Warriors. Brewer is averaging 25.5 minutes per game for the Nuggets. Another former Wolves player, center Kosta Koufos, is averaging 3.0 points and 4.5 rebounds for Denver.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org