

Joe Christensen, the Star Tribune's national baseball reporter, has covered the big leagues since 1998. A Faribault native, he graduated from the University of Minnesota in 1996. Before working for the Star Tribune, he spent three years covering the Orioles for the Baltimore Sun. He also covered the Padres and Dodgers for newspapers in Southern California. He'll share his thoughts here on the Twins and all things baseball.
The Twins have agreed to terms on a minor league deal with an invitation to spring training for starting pitcher Samuel Deduno, who could have left as a free agent after being taken off the 40-man roster last week.
Deduno, 29, arrived in camp on a minor league deal this year and began the season at Class AAA Rochester before going 6-5 with a 4.44 ERA in 15 starts for the Twins.
Deduno has long struggled with his control, but he was able to harness it enough to give the Twins eight quality starts -- at least six innings pitched, three or fewer earned runs allowed.
“He was frustrated when he was taken off the roster because he felt like he’d earned a spot, but he understands,” said Deduno’s agent, Paul Kinzer. “He feels like he’s going to come in [to spring training] and earn a spot in the rotation.”
The Twins removed Deduno, P.J. Walters and Esmerling Vasquez from the 40-man roster because they plan to add new players in coming weeks. Walters has since re-signed on a minor league deal, and like Deduno, Vasquez, who went 0-2 with a 5.68 ERA in six starts with the Twins, has agreed to terms on a minor league deal.
The Twins plan to announce the Deduno and Vasquez deals as soon as the contracts are officially signed.
Friday has been a busy day on the waiver wire for the Twins.
The Orioles claimed infielder Alexi Casilla, and the Twins claimed two players from the Rockies -- reliever Josh Roenicke and shortstop Tommy Field. Also, the Twins took starting pitcher Samuel Deduno off their 40-man roster and assigned him to Class AAA Rochester.
Deduno has the right to accept that assignment or become a free agent. Deduno went 6-5 with a 4.44 ERA in 15 starts this year, so the move was a little surprising.
Update: I spoke to Deduno's agent, Paul Kinzer, who said Deduno is weighing his options right now but probably will re-sign with the Twins on a minor-league deal.
The Twins were expected to non-tender Casilla this offseason rather than give him another raise from his $1.38 million salary through arbitration. He batted .250 with a .305 on-base percentage in seven years with the Twins, though he will always be remembered for delivering the game-winning hit in their Game 163 victory over the Tigers in 2009.
Casilla, 28, became expendable when the Twins traded Francisco Liriano to the White Sox in a deal that brought utility infielder Eduardo Escobar. Jamey Carroll also can play multiple infield positions, and the Twins have two young shortstops they like in Pedro Florimon and Brian Dozier.
Now, Field has been added to the mix. The 25-year-old played two games for the Rockies this year and batted .246 with a .715 OPS last year at Class AAA Colorado Springs.
Roenicke, 30, the son of former Orioles outfielder Gary Roenicke and nephew of Brewers manager Ron Roenicke, posted a 3.25 ERA in 63 appearances for the Rockies last year. He had 54 strikeouts and 43 walks in 88 2/3 innings and his fastball averaged 92.3 mph, according to Fangraphs.com.
Update: It doesn't sound like the Twins will re-sign Scott Baker before the free agent market opens at 11 p.m. At that point, other teams will be able to bid. At this point, Baker might need to see what offers are out there before deciding if it's best to remain in Minnesota or move on.
The Twins named Brad Steil their new minor-league director today, removing the interim tag they gave him after Jim Rantz announced his retirement last month. Steil was the team’s director of baseball operations for the previous five seasons.
The Twins also filled their head trainer position, promoting longtime assistant Dave Pruemer into the lead role. Pruemer replaces Rick McWane, who was fired after eight years on the job. Tony Leo was named assistant athletic trainer, and Lanning Tucker was named assistant athletic trainer and rehab coordinator.
Meanwhile, Twins pitching prospect Kyle Gibson has been tabbed to start in Saturday night’s Rising Stars Game in the Arizona Fall League. Twins relief prospect Michael Tonkin also was picked for the game, which will be televised live on MLB Network at 7 p.m.
Twins pitcher Samuel Deduno, who left his start Sept. 26 with blurry vision in his left eye, has reported no problems since the season ended. He saw an eye doctor in the Twin Cities on Tuesday, and things checked out fine, General Manager Terry Ryan said.
Citing the HIPAA Privacy Rule, Ryan said he couldn't give more details, but this sounded like good news for Deduno. The 29-year-old righthander from the Dominican Republic went 6-5 with a 4.44 ERA in 15 starts for the Twins this year and remains on their 40-man roster.
The Twins announced their 2012 Diamond Award winners today, as voted on by local members of the Baseball Writers Association of America.
Team MVP: Josh Willingham
Pitcher of the year: Scott Diamond
Rookie of the year: Scott Diamond
Most improved: Ben Revere
Determination and leadership: Justin Morneau
Media good guy: Glen Perkins
Defensive player of the year: Ben Revere
Upper Midwest player of the year: Joe Mauer
The annual Diamond Awards dinner, with proceeds benefiting neurological research at the University of Minnesota, will be held Jan. 24 at Target Field.
Scott Baker said he had a good conversation with Twins General Manager Terry Ryan today, when Ryan called with news that the team was declining Baker's $9.25 million option for 2013.
"I think we’ve kind of known it wasn’t going to get picked up," Baker said. "He was very nice letting me know they’d like to have me back."
Baker is now a free agent and will be able to receive offers from other teams by Friday night. But the Twins are still very much in the running to re-sign him.
"We’re talking, and obviously I think there’s a mutual feeling that I want to be back, and they want me back," Baker said. "But it has to make sense for both parties, and we’re just not there yet.
"There’s a lot to consider. I’ll just say, we’re not close, but we’re definitely closer than when it started. I’m by no means discouraged by anything that’s gone on so far. But at the same time, there are great teams and other possibilities out there."
General Manager Terry Ryan described Monday's decision on the option "a paper move."
"I don’t think anybody expected us to pick up that option," Ryan said. "We certainly have the ability to talk to Scott and his agent right through the period. So whether we do today, tomorrow or the next day, we have the ability to."
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT