Page 2 of 2 Previous
Billy Butler has played well at first base in place of Eric Hosmer, who is recovering from a fractured right hand. But Hosmer is a key cog in the Royals’ playoff push. Hosmer hasn’t swung a bat since July 31 and is scheduled to have a magnetic resonance imaging exam Monday.
So former Twins slugger Josh Willingham will continue to fill the designated hitter role for Kansas City.
• • •
The White Sox aren’t done with presenting young mashers. Avisail Garcia, whom they received from Detroit in a trade last year, has missed most of the season with a torn labrum and avulsion fracture in his left shoulder.
He’s back, and he hit a two-run home run Wednesday in a loss to Baltimore. But he had six RBI in his first five games since returning from the disabled list.
Three observations …
• Too bad for the Reds. They worked hard to try to land Cuban Rusney Castillo, but the money got too big for them, and he ended up with the Red Sox for $72.5 million.
• Jordan Schafer might be faster than Ben Revere.
• I once thought Gordon Beckham would be a pain in the Twins’ sides for years, but he never matched the hype or built off his promising rookie year in 2009.
... and two predictions
• The Tigers and Athletics will play in the wild-card game.
• The Twins will go 3-4 on their road trip this week to Kansas City and Baltimore.
|Real Salt Lake||2|
|(7) Florida State||74||FINAL|
|(3) South Carolina||80|
|(2) Notre Dame||77|