Page 2 of 2 Previous
“It is [bizarre], but at the same time I respect what [owner] Robert [Pera] did. Coach Joerger did an amazing job, and he did such a good job that he has other suitors,” said Miller, a former Wolves player. “I think the only reason Robert let him do it is because it’s his home city, home state. That’s a unique situation for anyone to be in. I guess I’m saying good luck to him.”
Chris Vernon, who hosts an ESPN radio show in Memphis, reports that if the Wolves are able to get Joerger, the price might be one or two second-round picks. The Wolves have three second-round picks in the 2014 draft: No. 40, No. 44 and No. 53.
One wonders if there would be a better chance of keeping Kevin Love if a longtime established coach such as George Karl was hired, instead of a younger coach such as the 40-year-old Joerger, who has been an NBA head coach for just one season.
Don’t be surprised if Sam Mitchell, a very popular player with the Wolves who coached Toronto from 2004 to ’08 and was NBA Coach of the Year in 2007, winds up with the job if Joerger is unavailable.
• Former Gophers and NFL quarterback Adam Weber and current Gophers quarterback Mitch Leidner are working out a lot together in the Gibson-Nagurski Football Complex. Weber, who has signed to play for Saskatchewan in the Canadian Football League, was ranked with the smartest QBs to wear the maroon and gold in recent history. There is no doubt that Weber can make Leidner a better quarterback.
• Speaking at the Horseshoe Bay (Texas) Sports Club earlier this month, former Gophers men’s basketball coach Tubby Smith said the biggest disappointment in his career was being fired from the Gophers. “I noticed some unease in the office, and my wife called and said, ‘Are you getting fired? It’s on ESPN,’ ” Smith said, according to the Llano News. “I thought [at the meeting he was set to attend with Norwood Teague] I was getting a raise.”
• Any time you build a new stadium or do a complete remodeling job like the Green Bay Packers did with Lambeau Field, profit is going to jump. The Packers showed a record profit of $54.3 million after the 2012 season, and the Vikings should hope to match that figure when their stadium opens.
• Pat Neshek, the former Twins reliever from Park Center High School, is having perhaps the best season of his major league career, which began in 2006. Neshek, 33, entered Saturday 1-0 with a 0.86 ERA over 21 innings and 23 appearances for the St. Louis Cardinals. He had struck out 23 batters while walking just three and giving up only nine hits and two earned runs.
• Former Gophers basketball forward Trevor Mbakwe posted his third consecutive double-double as Virtus Rome defeated Cantu in Italy. Mbakwe had 14 points, 20 rebounds and five blocks in a victory Saturday. … Former Gophers center Colton Iverson is averaging 6.2 points and 4.3 rebounds in 14.9 minutes per game for Besiktas in Turkey.
|Univ of Minnesota||1||FINAL|
|SE Missouri St||74||FINAL|
|Mount St Marys||58|
|New Mexico St||69||FINAL|
|San Jose St||51|
|San Diego St||60||FINAL|
|UC Santa Barbara||98||FINAL|
|Coll of Charleston||58||FINAL|
|William & Mary||68|
Poll: Who is doing the best job coaching a Minnesota pro sports team?