Page 2 of 2 Previous
“It was just an embarrassment … just a lack of execution and the decision-making that went into those plays,” he said on his postgame radio show. “It was just too bad, because we had done enough to even put ourselves in position for a tight win.”
A victory by the Gophers will put them at 5-3 in the Big Ten and with the next three games being Northwestern at home, at Purdue and Indiana at home, there is a chance they could be 8-3 in the conference, a record they haven’t had for ages.
Still working on agreement
The Gophers and the Vikings still are apart on an agreement for the NFL team to play in TCF Bank Stadium in 2014 and 2015.
They still are investigating what type of heated field will be available for $2.3 million and what additional areas will need to have heating installed, and they are working on the concession layouts.
• One good thing about the future of the Gophers men’s basketball team is they have only three seniors on the squad — guards Maverick Ahanmisi, Austin Hollins and Malik Smith.
• Gophers recruit Josh Martin scored a season-high 44 points for Bothell (Wash.) High School a 81-73 victory over Woodinville. Martin scored 26 points in the fourth quarter.
• The Gophers football team now has two preferred walk-ons committed in Roseville quarterback Jacques Perra, who committed the other day, and Apple Valley safety Davis Anderson. Anderson told Gopher Illustrated: “Both coach [Jerry] Kill and defensive backs coach Jay Sawvel take pride in their walk-ons. They said if they didn’t believe I could help the team I wouldn’t be walking on. Minnesota is also a program that gives everybody a chance to prove themselves which is all I am asking for … I’m 100 percent committed to Minnesota.”
• Gophers football has two big-time recruits visiting this week from Mundy’s Mill High School in Jonesboro, Ga. Linebacker Jonathan Celestin had 139 tackles this past season, while running back Rodney Smith is being sought by many SEC schools.
• Former Ohio State national title-winning coach Jim Tressel joined the Gophers’ Kill at a football clinic Saturday at Hamline.
• Carson Shanks, the former Prior Lake High School 7-footer whom many believed was coming to the Gophers as a walk-on after leaving Utah State, is instead enrolling at North Dakota.
• Gophers track and field captain Jon Lehman set a personal record in the weight throw last week at the Northwest Open with a toss of 71 feet, 11 inches. The throw stands as the fourth best in the nation this year and the second best in the Big Ten.
|Minnesota - WP: C. Thielbar||7||FINAL|
|NY Yankees - LP: M. Banuelos||3|
|Stephen F Austin||85|
|Sam Houston St||69||FINAL|
|San Diego St||59|
|Utah Valley U||69|
|New Mexico St||69|
|Long Beach State||77|
|(22) Middle Tennessee||64|
|(25) Bowling Green||55|
|New Mexico St||65||FINAL|
|Coll of Charleston||70|