• In the very near future, the Vikings and the stadium commission will select the concessionaire for the new Vikings football stadium. The three finalists are reported to be Minnesota Sports Service, which currently handles concessions at Target Center and Target Field, Aramark of Philadelphia and Morrisey Hospitality of St. Paul, which handles the Excel Energy Center.
• So far most of the workouts held by new Gophers basketball coach Rick Pitino have been in the recently remodeled Bierman Building gym, which is across from the Gopher basketball office. Apparently, the new basketball building will be built in back of the Bierman Building on the current track. The present plans are to erect a new track in St. Paul, maybe near the farm campus.
• Meanwhile the Gophers football offices have been remodeled so the coaches have more modern and roomier spaces so they can communicate better with their players.
• One of the outstanding Gopher linebackers who will help to fill this years strong graduating class of linebackers is Jones County Junior College [Mississippi] gridder Damien Wilson, who had 17 offers from colleges all over the country and is an outstanding athlete.
• What Gopher coach Jerry and his wife, Rebecca, call ‘Date Night’ was held Thursday night at TCF Bank Stadium. Couples pay $350 and individuals $175 to spend some time, hopefully under the stars, to get a chance to get to know the coach and his wife and to explore the stadium in a way most don’t see it.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. email@example.com