Page 2 of 2 Previous
Mauer said he has been healthy and wants to maintain that. “Hopefully I can stay out on the field, and we’ll see what happens,” he said.
As for the Twins’ losing streak, which has reached eight games: “Hopefully we keep getting better and better,” Mauer said. “That’s the goal. We have been in a funk lately, we’ve played some good teams but hopefully we can bounce back and have a good road trip.”
Now that the Timberwolves have wound up with the ninth pick in the NBA draft — where their record indicated they would be before Tuesday’s draft lottery — club President Flip Saunders was asked how good the draft will be.
“There’s so much talk about how this isn’t a good draft, but I think what it is is a draft that is interesting and deep at certain positions,” Saunders said. “What I mean by that is you might be able to get a player normally that might go number seven in the draft, or eight, and you might be able to get him at number 16 just because of the way the draft might play out with some people’s needs and the depth at some positions.”
• Wolves forward Kevin Love told NBC Sports that he and Saunders have been hitting it off so far. “He’s very hopeful that I’ll be a part of the team, a big part of the team, for many years to come,’’ Love said. “And I don’t see why he should think otherwise.” Saunders added to that sentiment saying, “What you want to do is you want to make sure that [Love is] part of your foundation. And I’ve talked a lot with Ricky [Rubio], but Ricky, of course, is overseas, it’s not quite as easy.”
• Prom Catering, a company that began doing the concessions at local golf tournaments, provides catering for the PGA Tour, the Champions Tour, the LPGA Tour and the USGA, among others. Prom will provide concessions for the U.S. Open at Merion Golf Club near Philadelphia next month, plus all of Tiger Woods’ tournaments. At the recent Players Championship, Prom set a tournament record for revenue.
• The only two Vikings not working out on a regular basis in organized team activities at Winter Park are defensive end Jared Allen and running back Adrian Peterson. Regarding Peterson’s absence, coach Leslie Frazier said: “It kind of happened not by his choice. He had the abdominal strain late in the season, and that has kind of slowed him this offseason as far as being able to kick things into overdrive and doing things the way he wants to do it. It has slowed him down a little, but he is just about back to 100 percent, doing everything he has to do [in Texas] to be in the best possible shape for the season.’’
• Gophers wrestler Kevin Steinhaus, who completed his junior season this winter, was named to the CoSIDA Academic All-District team, which is selected by the College Sports Information Directors of America. Steinhaus has a 3.40 grade-point average while majoring in kinesiology.
• The Gophers could have two pitchers selected in Major League Baseball’s draft in June. They are lefthander Tom Windle, who has a great reputation after pitching in the Cape Cod League last year, and lefthander DJ Snelten, who recently was named Big Ten pitcher of the week.
• The Baseline Tennis Center in Minneapolis will be host to a U.S. Open national playoffs sectional qualifying tournament from June 20-24. Those tournaments provide opportunities for players to win a spot in the U.S. Open in New York.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and Sundays at 9:30 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org.
|Miami - D. Phelps||6:05 PM|
|Washington - J. Zimmermann|
|NY Yankees - C. Whitley||6:07 PM|
|Toronto - R. Dickey|
|Philadelphia - A. Harang||6:10 PM|
|Atlanta - A. Wood|
|Tampa Bay - J. Odorizzi||6:10 PM|
|Boston - C. Buchholz|
|Los Angeles - C. Kershaw||6:20 PM|
|Milwaukee - K. Lohse|
|Chicago Cubs - T. Wood||7:10 PM|
|St. Louis - C. Martinez|
|Oakland - J. Hahn||7:10 PM|
|Minnesota - P. Hughes|
|Texas - R. Detwiler||7:10 PM|
|Houston - D. Keuchel|
|Arizona - J. Collmenter||7:40 PM|
|Colorado - T. Matzek|
|Seattle - F. Hernandez||9:05 PM|
|LA Angels - M. Shoemaker|
|San Diego - T. Ross||9:15 PM|
|San Francisco - M. Bumgarner|
|LA Clippers||8:30 PM|
|NY Rangers||6:30 PM|