Twins lead Lakeville North
over Duluth East in OT
• LAKEVILLE NORTH 3, DULUTH EAST 2 (OT): The Poehling brothers accounted for six of the Panthers’ eight points, including all three goals, as Class 2A, No. 1 Lakeville North topped No. 7 Duluth East in overtime on Thursday. Twins Jack and Nick Poehling each scored in the first period to give the Panthers the early lead. The Greyhounds responded with two goals from Philip Beaulieu in the same period. After two scoreless periods, Nick Poehling buried the winner 3:01 into overtime to give the Panthers their 12th consecutive victory. The Greyhounds have now dropped two games in a row.
• EDINA 3, WAYZATA 1: Tyler Nanne scored at 9:57 of the third period to give the Hornets, ranked No. 2 in Class 2A, the Lake Conference win over the No. 4 Trojans. Garrett Wait led the Hornets with two goals.
• SHAKOPEE 5, RED WING 3: The Sabers’ Jon Willemssen broke a 3-3 tie with the eventual winner only 11 seconds into the third period of the Missota Conference game. Sam Scott pushed the lead to two on a power-play goal at 11:20 of the same period. Preston Husom led the Wingers with three points.
Hutch survives in 2 OTs
• HUTCHINSON 4, WILLMAR 3 (2OT): Alexa Seifert ended a long night of hockey with a goal 1:37 into the second overtime for the Tigers in a Class 1A, Section 2 first-round game. Hutchinson scored three consecutive goals to overcome a 3-1 second period deficit.
• BRECK 6, MINNEAPOLIS 0: Freshman forward Grace Zumwinkle scored three goals and had one assist, as the Mustangs breezed past the Novas in a Class 1A, Section 5 first-round game. Leah Schwartzman added one goal and two assists for the No. 10 Mustangs. Breck outshot Minneapolis 41-10.
• ANDOVER 9, CAMBRIDGE-ISANTI 1: The Huskies scored six goals in the first eight minutes, and seven total in the first period, to knock off the Bluejackets in the first round of the Class 2A, Section 7 tournament. Eight different skaters scored for the Huskies as they outshot the Bluejackets 51-19.
Cooper wins on late FTs
• COOPER 60, FRIDLEY 58: With the score tied 58-58, the Tigers missed a layup with six seconds left, then fouled Taron Pickford on the ensuing rebound to send him to the line. He hit both free throws with 1.7 seconds left to give the Hawks the win. Pickford finished with 11 points. Brandon Robinson tied for the game-high with 16 points.
• MOUND-WESTONKA 58, DELANO 54: The White Hawks overcame a four-point halftime deficit to pull away and upset Wright County Conference foe Delano. Tynan O’Hara led the way for Mound-Westonka with 12 points. Teammate Reid Dahl added 10 points for the White Hawks, who got just their fourth win of the season. Damon Longstreet had a game-high 20 points for the Tigers.
Milestone in victory