Johnson tops Central
• ST. PAUL JOHNSON 75, ST. PAUL CENTRAL 67: The Class 3A, No. 1 Governors (17-2) closed with an 18-10 run, pulling away from the Minutemen in the battle for supremacy in the St. Paul City on Friday. The matchup was tied 57-57 with five minutes left. Governors junior guard Jalen Mobley led all scorers with 25 points. Senior forward Rayeon Williams paced the Minutemen with 20 points. Both teams entered the game 5-0 in conference play.
• APPLE VALLEY 78, BLOOMINGTON KENNEDY 43: Class 4A, No. 1 Apple Valley appears to be getting better. That doesn’t bode well for its opposition. Apple Valley (19-1) raced to a 48-13 halftime lead over Bloomington Kennedy, and cruised to its 14th consecutive victory in the South Suburban matchup. Apple Valley hasn’t lost since falling to Whitney Young (Ill.) 80-70 on a nationally televised game on ESPN on Dec. 12. During its current winning streak, Apple Valley has only had three games decided by fewer than 25 points, the closest being a 72-59 victory over national power Blue Valley (Kan.) Northwest. Duke recruit Tyus Jones had 15 points and seven assists in 21 minutes for Apple Valley. Senior forward Dennis Austin had a game-high 18 points for the Eagles.
• CRETIN-DERHAM HALL 93, MOUNDS VIEW 60: The Class 4A, No. 7 Raiders (17-3) won their seventh consecutive game, beating the Mustangs in Suburban East play. Junior forward Sam Neumann had 28 points, leading four Cretin-Derham Hall players in double figures. Joe Rosga (16), Stevie Moman (12) and Donnell Gresham (12) were also in double digits for Cretin-Derham Hall.
• HOLY FAMILY 69, GLENCOE-SILVER LAKE 43: Holy Family senior guard Joe Hanel led all scorers with 22 points and scored his 1000th career point as the Class 3A, No. 3 Fire (18-2) topped the Panthers.
• CENTENNIAL 66, MAPLE GROVE 56: The Class 4A, No. 4 Cougars jumped out to a 35-18 halftime lead and defeated the Crimson despite being outscored in the second half. Jillian Conrad had 16 points and Jasmin Bretoi added 13 for Centennial (13-3), which bounced back from a loss at Park Center last week. Allie Schmidt scored 14 points for Maple Grove, which had four starters in double-digit scoring.
• EASTVIEW 61, LAKEVILLE NORTH 50: Madison Guebert led all scorers with 26 points as the Class 4A, No. 1 Lightning defeated the Panthers. Hana Metoxen added 12 points and Kari Opatz had 11 for the Lightning, which improved to 10-0 in the South Suburban Conference and 18-0 overall.
• NEW PRAGUE 54, NORTHFIELD 42: Ella Grote scored 16 points and two other Trojans scored double-digit points as Class 3A, No. 10 New Prague topped Northfield in the Missota. The Trojans trailed at halftime before outscoring the Raiders 32-16 in the second half.
• MAHTOMEDI 4, SIMLEY 1: Class 1A, No. 9 Mahtomedi scored four unanswered goals — three in the first and one in the third — to take down visiting Simley. Four Zephyrs forwards scored goals and goalie Will Swanson stopped 20 of 21 shots.
• ARMSTRONG/COOPER 3, CHAMPLIN PARK 2: Marissa Odell scored two goals and Emma Terres added another as the Falcons topped the Rebels. The Rebels scored an early third-period goal to pull within one, but Falcons goalie Lexi Ripka stopped the next nine shots to seal the victory.
• Goodhue senior Mikayla Miller scored her 2,000th career point in the Wildcats’ 73-47 victory over Blooming Prairie on Thursday. Miller finished with 26 points. Last week, Miller scored a school-record 46 points in the Wildcats’ 78-44 victory over Zumbrota-Mazeppa. Miller broke the record held by her mother.