• SECTION 5: Nobody bothered to tell Maple Grove freshman Rory Calabria just how pivotal his match at No. 4 singles became in the battle for the section crown.
The No. 1-seeded Crimson played No. 2 seed Mounds View at Irondale High School on Monday in a rematch of last season's section final.
A year ago, Mounds View won, earning its 10th consecutive trip to the state tournament. Monday Calabria, playing in the final match, stopped the streak with a three-set victory that cemented a 4-3 team victory and the Crimson's first trip to the state tournament.
"I thought it was already over, so I just relaxed and played my game," Calabria said.
Zachary Adkins, Charlie Adkins, Sam Hochberger and Calabria swept the four singles positions for Maple Grove. Mounds View won all three doubles matches, two of the victories coming in three sets.
DAVID LA VAQUE
• SECTION 5: Spring Lake Park was down to its final two outs and on the verge of elimination. Emma Humphrey doubled home two runs, pulling the Panthers even with Totino-Grace. Six innings later, Torie Peterson scored on an error as Spring Lake Park pulled out a 3-2 victory in 13 innings in the first round at Rice Creek Park in Shoreview. Peterson opened the 13th inning with a single and scored all the way from first on a throwing error on sacrifice. Winning pitcher Alex Reynolds scattered 11 hits while striking out 10 and walking none ... Senior Kelsey Weimerskirch scored from second on a two-base throwing error with one out in the 10th inning, giving Champlin Park a 4-3 victory over Rogers in the opening round. Weimerskirch opened the inning with a base hit and stole second base. The next batter lined out to the third baseman, who then overthrew second trying to double up Weimerskirch. ... Allie Hable threw a no-hitter, leading Coon Rapids to a 10-0 victory over St. Michael-Albertville. She struck out six and walked two. Rachel Sarette led the Cardinals offense, going 2-for-2 with two RBI and three runs scored.
• SECTION 3: Burnsville scored four runs in the bottom of the fifth inning, breaking a tie en route to a 6-2 victory over Lakeville South in the quarterfinals. Kelly Grove hit a two-run homer and Abby Johnson went 3-for-4, including two doubles, and scored three runs for the Blaze. Lakeville South's Taylor Kerl also hit a two-run homer.
• SECTION 4: Taylor LeMay hit her sixth home run of the season and drove in three runs, leading East Ridge to a 16-1 victory over Tartan in the first round. LeMay went 4-for-4 at the plate. ... White Bear Lake eliminated Mahtomedi 13-0 behind Danni Renner's two-run homer and Molly Sager's two-run double.
• BENILDE-ST. MARGARET'S 1, HOLY ANGELS 0: Seniors Willie Falk and Marcus Barone combined on a no-hitter as the Red Knights shut out the Stars in nonconference play. Falk worked 5 1/3 innings, striking out seven and walking five. Barone earned a save by getting the last five outs, one by strikeout. Benilde-St. Margaret's scored the lone run when John Backes was issued a bases-loaded walk in the fourth inning.
• MISSOTA CONFERENCE: Junior Brenna Lervick shot a career-best 3-under-par 68, winning the eight-team league meet at Deer Run Golf Club in Victoria. Chanhassen also won the team title with a 319, finishing three strokes ahead of regular-season champion Red Wing.