Home run puts Benilde-St. Margaret's past Wayzata.
• BENILDE-ST. MARGARET'S 10, WAYZATA 8: The Red Knights couldn't have had a better player stepping into the batter's box with the game on the line than Jimmy Heck on Saturday. The senior hit a three-run home run in the bottom of the sixth inning, giving Benilde-St. Margaret's a wild nonconference victory over the Trojans in St. Louis Park. It was Heck's fourth hit of the day. He also scored three runs. Wayzata (2-3) scored eight unearned runs in the top half of the inning to take an 8-7 lead. Junior Mike Fecho's three-run double tied it 7-7, and senior Jake Steinbach's base hit gave the Trojans the lead. Benilde-St. Margaret's (5-1) took a 7-0 lead on junior John Backes' three-run homer in the third. The Red Knights scored two runs apiece in the first and second innings.
• BLOOMINGTON JEFFERSON 14, ROSEMOUNT 3: Senior Max Woodrich went 4-for-4, drove in three runs and scored twice, leading the Jaguars (3-4) past the Irish (2-6) in a South Suburban Conference matchup called after five innings because of the 10-run rule.
• EDEN PRAIRIE 9, GRAND RAPIDS 8 (8 INNINGS): Brett Guba's fourth hit of the day, a run-scoring single in the bottom of the eighth scoring Luke Lind from third base, gave the Class 3A, No. 2 Eagles a nonconference extra-inning victory over the Thunderhawks. Guba also had four RBI. Teammates Jordan Smith and Derek Soderberg each had three hits. Eden Prairie (6-0) was coming off back-to-back no-hitters in its previous two games.
• ST. PAUL JOHNSON 7, ROCHESTER CENTURY 6 (8 INNINGS): The Governors (5-2) tied it in the fifth with a run and won it in the eighth, surprising the Panthers in nonconference play. Senior Mike Sargent had three of the Governors' nine hits.
• MOUNDS VIEW 3, BEMIDJI 0: Senior pitcher Megan Danielson fired a three-hit shutout as the Mustangs (7-2) blanked Bemidji in a nonconference matchup. Junior Taylor Linn led the offense, going 2-for-2, stealing two bases and driving in a run.
• ST. FRANCIS 11, PRINCETON 1: Kelsey Gale had two hits, including a home run, and had three RBI as the Saints beat the Tigers in the first round of the Chisago Lakes tournament.