• The Leech Lake Reservation measures about 680,000 acres and encompasses three of Minnesota's largest and best fishing lakes: Leech, Cass and Winnibigoshish.
The lakes' surface area covers about a third of the reservation. Of the remaining 465,000 acres, other governments own 332,000 acres.
• About 5,000 of 9,400 band members live on the reservation, about a third of whom live below the nation's poverty level, according to the band.
• Government is by a five-member Reservation Business Committee. Its two officers, chairman Arthur LaRose and secretary-treasurer Mike Bongo, are elected at-large. The other three represent specific districts.
• The reservation has a tribal K-12 school, Bug-O-Nay-Ge-Shig; a hospital and satellite health clinics, and a two-year tribal college.
• A 1972 agreement with the state allows nonband anglers to fish on the reservation in exchange for up to $7 million annually to the band.
• Leech Lake band members can net lakes within the reservation to feed themselves and their families. Few nets are set. Sometimes nets are illegally destroyed by nonband inhabitants.
• The band owns three casinos, with gross annual revenue of about $100 million and a profit of about $15 million, according to the band. The casinos have 1,269 employees, 768 of whom are Leech Lake Chippewa or other natives.
• Nonband members of the Leech Lake Fishing Task Force, a community group that helps stock walleyes, say the band and its casinos have been invaluable in supporting their efforts. Last summer, 650 band and nonband members attended a walleye fry and gathering. "Whatever we talk about, whatever we do here [in Walker] and on Leech Lake, it's the Indian and non-Indian community working together,'' said Terry Holly of Walker, a task force member who does not belong to the band.
|New England||5:30 PM|
|Connecticut||51||2nd Half 3:51|
|California||81||2nd Half 4:13|
|North Dakota St||64||FINAL|
|Coll of Charleston||49||FINAL|
|(4) Notre Dame||92|
|William & Mary||72||FINAL|
|(16) North Carolina||72|
|(18) Miss State||65||2nd Half 3:08|
|Villanova||47||2nd Half 0:22|
|Georgetown||65||2nd Half 3:54|
|North Texas||43||2nd Half 2:45|
|Auburn||43||2nd Half 0:33|
|(12) Texas A&M||78|
|(11) Arizona State||58||2nd Half 0:32|
|Missouri State||56||2nd Half 0:38|
|Michigan||60||2nd Half 0:03|
|Wisconsin||67||2nd Half 4:03|
|Bradley||49||2nd Half 3:09|
|Florida||30||1st Half 0:18|
|(20) Iowa||38||1st Half 2:20|
|(1) South Carolina||6||1st Half 14:28|
Poll: Should the lake where the albino muskie was caught remain a mystery?