• The Leech Lake Reservation measures about 680,000 acres and encompasses three of Minnesota's largest and best fishing lakes: Leech, Cass and Winnibigoshish.
The lakes' surface area covers about a third of the reservation. Of the remaining 465,000 acres, other governments own 332,000 acres.
• About 5,000 of 9,400 band members live on the reservation, about a third of whom live below the nation's poverty level, according to the band.
• Government is by a five-member Reservation Business Committee. Its two officers, chairman Arthur LaRose and secretary-treasurer Mike Bongo, are elected at-large. The other three represent specific districts.
• The reservation has a tribal K-12 school, Bug-O-Nay-Ge-Shig; a hospital and satellite health clinics, and a two-year tribal college.
• A 1972 agreement with the state allows nonband anglers to fish on the reservation in exchange for up to $7 million annually to the band.
• Leech Lake band members can net lakes within the reservation to feed themselves and their families. Few nets are set. Sometimes nets are illegally destroyed by nonband inhabitants.
• The band owns three casinos, with gross annual revenue of about $100 million and a profit of about $15 million, according to the band. The casinos have 1,269 employees, 768 of whom are Leech Lake Chippewa or other natives.
• Nonband members of the Leech Lake Fishing Task Force, a community group that helps stock walleyes, say the band and its casinos have been invaluable in supporting their efforts. Last summer, 650 band and nonband members attended a walleye fry and gathering. "Whatever we talk about, whatever we do here [in Walker] and on Leech Lake, it's the Indian and non-Indian community working together,'' said Terry Holly of Walker, a task force member who does not belong to the band.
|Los Angeles - WP: H. Ryu||5||FINAL|
|Pittsburgh - LP: E. Volquez||2|
|San Francisco - WP: G. Kontos||7||FINAL|
|Philadelphia - LP: C. Lee||4|
|Texas - WP: M. Mikolas||4||FINAL|
|NY Yankees - LP: S. Greene||2|
|Boston - WP: J. Lackey||14||FINAL|
|Toronto - LP: D. Hutchison||1|
|Miami - WP: B. Morris||3||FINAL|
|Atlanta - LP: S. Simmons||1|
|Cincinnati - LP: M. Latos||2||FINAL|
|Milwaukee - WP: W. Peralta||5|
|Cleveland - LP: B. Shaw||3||FINAL|
|Minnesota - WP: C. Fien||4|
|Kansas City - LP: J. Guthrie||1||FINAL|
|Chicago WSox - WP: C. Sale||3|
|Washington - WP: D. Fister||7||FINAL|
|Colorado - LP: F. Morales||2|
|Detroit||4||Top 8th Inning|
|Baltimore||4||Bottom 6th Inning|
|NY Mets||1||Top 7th Inning|
|Calgary||7/24/14 8:00 PM|
|Winnipeg||7/25/14 9:00 PM|
|Ottawa||7/26/14 6:00 PM|
|Toronto||7/26/14 9:00 PM|
Poll: Should the lake where the albino muskie was caught remain a mystery?