One of the largest collections of antique fishing gear ever assembled was auctioned off piecemeal over the weekend in Zumbrota, Minn.
Around 3,000 items, ranging from old lures, rods and reels, to minnow buckets, boat motors, and magazines, were sold Friday and Saturday at the Zumbrota VFW.
"There were people from all over the country," said Gary Snyder of Dodge Center. His dad, William "Bud" Snyder, collected the stuff over 60 years until his death at age 74 in 1994.
Todd Houghton of Houghton's Auction Service in Red Wing, which conducted the sale, said it drew nationwide attention.
"You don't come across something like this too often," he said. The collection sold for several hundred thousand dollars, Houghton said. Besides the couple hundred people who attended the auction in person, another 250 bid live online, he said.
The top price paid was for a 3-horsepower 1905 Waterman Porto Motor, which sold for $5,300. A Heddon glass-eye lure fetched $230.
Other items and the price paid:
• 1930's 16-foot cedar strip canoe, $650.
• 1924 June bug three-hook lure, $190.
• 1915 Evinrude outboard motor Model A, $425.
• 1920s copper fish decoy from Czechoslovakia, $525.
• Copper minnow bucket, $140.
• Orvis glass minnow trap, $110.
It was a bittersweet end to his dad's collection.
"I was a little sad to see it go," Gary Snyder said. "I enjoyed looking at it. But now other people will get a chance to see it."
He estimated that only perhaps 150 to 200 people had seen the private collection over the years.
Originally, his dad had hoped to create a museum for the fishing gear. "He never completed that part of his dream," Snyder said.Did you know?
• Conservation officer Mark Mathy of Cass Lake got a TIP complaint about anglers with over limits of fish. He found 20 anglers with 767 perch for several days of fishing on Cass Lake. That's a lot of fish, but the state's perch possession limit is 40, so the anglers were 33 fish under their limit. "They were legal," Mathy said. "But it underscores the impact one group can have."
• The night fishing ban on Lake Mille Lacs ended Monday.
• A number of complaints regarding carp being taken and left on the shoreline or dumped have been reported in the Willmar and Alexandria. The fish found near Alexandria were speared or shot with archery equipment.
• An angler near Hibbing was found with 13 northerns over his limit, and he faces nearly $800 in fines and restitution.
Doug Smith • firstname.lastname@example.org
|Los Angeles - LP: H. Ryu||4||FINAL|
|NY Yankees - WP: H. Kuroda||6|
|Baltimore - WP: C. Tillman||13||FINAL|
|Detroit - LP: R. Porcello||3|
|Miami - LP: J. Fernandez||1||FINAL|
|Arizona - WP: D. Hernandez||3|
|San Diego - LP: L. Gregerson||2||FINAL|
|San Francisco - WP: M. Bumgarner||4|
|Los Angeles - WP: C. Capuano||6||FINAL|
|NY Yankees - LP: P. Hughes||0|
|Washington||2||Top 11th Inning|
|Kansas City - LP: L. Mendoza||3||FINAL|
|Cleveland - WP: J. Masterson||6|
|Colorado - LP: J. Nicasio||2||FINAL|
|Toronto - WP: M. Buehrle||5|
|NY Mets - LP: S. Marcum||3||FINAL|
|Atlanta - WP: K. Medlen||5|
|Pittsburgh||1||Top 11th Inning|
|Tampa Bay||6||Bottom 9th Inning|
|Oakland||3||Bottom 6th Inning|
|Chicago WSox||2||Top 7th Inning|
|Milwaukee||0||Top 8th Inning|
|Chicago Cubs||1||Bottom 6th Inning|
|Seattle||0||Top 2nd Inning|
|Chicago||4||3rd Prd 17:55|
|Colorado||1||2nd Half 9:00|
|Chivas USA||1||1st Half 37:00|
|Montreal||6/20/13 6:00 PM|
|Winnipeg||6/20/13 6:00 PM|
|Calgary||6/20/13 9:00 PM|
|Edmonton||6/21/13 9:00 PM|
|Montreal||6/27/13 8:00 PM|
|Minnesota||17||1st Qtr 2:00|