Does Cassel have any idea who will start against the Panthers on Sunday?
“That’s Coach’s decision,” he said. “We’ll go through a week of practice and see how everything goes, see how Christian is feeling, and then the decision will be made and we’ll go from there. But I’ll be ready to play.”
• Yes, Minneapolis is one of three candidates for the 2018 Super Bowl, but the city has tough competition in New Orleans, a real favorite of the owners, and Indianapolis, where one of the most successful Super Bowls was held in 2012. I believe this area has a chance to get a Super Bowl, but not in the first year the Vikings’ new stadium will be available.
• Frazier on the Carolina Panthers: “Cam Newton is a very good quarterback. They’re a very good football team. Their defense is playing well. They have good running backs. Steve Smith is still an outstanding wide receiver in our league. They’re an up-and-coming team.” … The Carolina game is sold out and will be televised.
• Former Gophers defensive back Tramaine Brock was named NFC Defensive Player of the Week this week after recording two interceptions, returning one for a touchdown, in the San Francisco 49ers’ 34-3 victory over the Houston Texans last week. Brock played one season for the Gophers in 2008 under Brewster but failed to qualify academically the next season.
• Former Wild forward Cal Clutterbuck has been taken off injured reserve, after suffering a deep skate cut last month, but won’t play for the New York Islanders until at least Friday in Chicago. Clutterbuck was traded to the Islanders for Nino Niederreiter in June.
• Former Vikings wide receiver Percy Harvin is back with the Seahawks after rehabbing in New York following his hip surgery in August. Coach Pete Carroll said he wasn’t ready to put a timetable on Harvin’s return, but that he is on to the next level of training.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. • email@example.com