Page 2 of 2 Previous
For the spring semester just completed, football players had a combined 3.066 GPA.
While all grades weren’t in as of Thursday, Holleran said it is possible that each and every sports team will post a 3.0 GPA or better.
• Every one of the 125 Gophers football players is eligible and will be in summer school when it starts July 9, including the No. 1 recruit in the state last year in wide receiver Andre McDonald of Hopkins. McDonald missed the Meineke Car Care Bowl and spring practice but he will be in school this summer, and his presence will make the wide receiver position a lot better.
• Gophers recruit Taylor Cammarata received the biggest award in junior hockey being named USA Hockey Dave Tyler Junior Player of the Year after his mammoth season with Waterloo of the United States Hockey League. The Plymouth native had 93 points on 38 goals and 55 assists in only 59 games. Cammarata, who previously played at Shattuck-St. Mary’s, will play either center or left wing next year with the Gophers.
• Danny Valencia’s batting average has tailed off a bit in his six games with the Baltimore Orioles. The former Twins third baseman is hitting .227, going 5-for-22 at the plate, but he does continue to hit for power, as Valencia has two doubles and two home runs.
• The annual college football magazines previewing the 2013 season are out, with Athlon and Sporting News predicting the Gophers to finish fifth in the Big Ten’s six-team Legends Division and Lindy’s picking them sixth.
• The highest honor the Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference can bestow upon an individual is its Distinguished Service Award, recently awarded to former St. John’s football coach John Gagliardi and Augsburg assistant athletic director Marilyn Pearson Florian.
• The University of Minnesota “M” Club and the Gophers athletic department will induct nine former Gophers and a coach into the “M” Club Hall of Fame Oct. 24: Jon Andresen (baseball), Jim Carter (football), Natalie Darwitz (hockey), Rick Naumoff (tennis), Charlie Sanders (football), Krissy Wendell Pohl (women’s hockey), Gary Wilson (cross-country/track and field), Loyd La Mois (track and field), Louis Lick (golf) and Larry Ross (hockey). Wilson is retiring as a coach this spring. La Mois, Lick and Ross will be inducted into the Pioneer Division, which honors athletes who were at Minnesota before 1950.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. email@example.com
|Boston - WP: M. Ott||4||FINAL|
|Minnesota - LP: M. Hoffman||3|
|San Francisco||1||Bottom 3rd Inning|
|Colorado||0||Top 1st Inning|
|LA Lakers||19||2nd Qtr 11:29|
|Edmonton||2||3rd Prd 12:40|
|NY Rangers||1||3rd Prd 10:23|
|UC Santa Barbara||38|
|San Diego St||73|
|Utah Valley U||83|
|Cal State Fullerton||56||FINAL|
|Long Beach State||66|
|Savannah State||41||2nd Half 2:46|
|Oral Roberts||55||2nd Half 1:05|
|Sam Houston St||63|
|Alabama A&M||41||2nd Half 16:29|
|Eastern Mich||34||2nd Half 18:14|
|UC Riverside||27||2nd Half 16:37|
|CS-Bakersfield||38||2nd Half 19:12|
|Rhode Island||40||2nd Half 19:02|
|Portland State||30||2nd Half 14:53|
|Fresno State||35||2nd Half|
|Oregon||35||2nd Half 19:05|
|Northwestern||41||2nd Half 16:01|
|Miss State||37||1st Half 4:27|
|Georgia Tech||22||1st Half 4:12|
|ULM||31||1st Half 3:45|
|Marquette||27||1st Half 3:55|
|West Virginia||8||1st Half 6:38|
|Memphis||12||1st Half 9:06|
|Boise State||10:30 PM|
|New Mexico St|
|Miss Valley St||68||FINAL|
|(22) Middle Tennessee||69|
|William & Mary||65|
|Idaho State||55||2nd Half 1:37|
|Old Dominion||38||1st Half 2:43|
Poll: How many games will the Gophers win in the Big Ten tournament?