• For the first time in his Twins career, Justin Morneau hasn’t hit a home run in May, although he still has a few days to do it. However, he had lifted his batting average to .299 after Sunday’s loss to the Tigers.
• Rivals.com updated its top 250 recruits in football for the class of 2014 and one Minnesota kid made the list: Minneapolis Washburn running back Jeff Jones was ranked at No. 115. Jones, a four-star recruit, committed to the Gophers but will still look at some other schools.
• Through the first four games of the Howard Pulley team’s run at the Nike Elite Youth Basketball League in Eagan this weekend, the team is 4-0 with one more game Monday. Apple Valley’s Tyus Jones and DeLaSalle’s Reid Travis continue to perform well. Jones has averaged 25.3 points on 63.3 percent shooting from the field and also has averaged six assists and 2.5 rebounds. Travis is averaging 21.5 points on 55.1 percent shooting and has grabbed 10.5 rebounds per game.
• Through his first three starts with the Pittsburgh Pirates, former Twin Francisco Liriano is posting pretty great numbers after recovering from a shoulder strain and coming off the disabled list. Liriano is 3-0 with a 1.00 ERA in three starts and has 25 strikeouts to six walks in 18 innings. Liriano will face a big test Monday when he goes up against Justin Verlander and the Detroit Tigers.
• Former Twin Carlos Gomez, who hit .229 in his final season with the Twins in 2009, is now fifth in the National League in batting average at .331. The center fielder for the Brewers, the Twins’ opponent Monday and Tuesday in Milwaukee and Wednesday and Thursday at Target Field, is also tied for seventh in the NL in stolen bases with nine.
• Former Gophers golfer Donald Constable is still trying to make his first cut on the PGA Tour after eight appearances. … Minnesota native Tom Lehman has finished in the top 10 in three of the six tournaments he has played this year on the Champions Tour and has made $322,685 so far.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org