THE DEAL FOR PITINO
Highlights of Gophers coach Richard Pitino’s contract:
• Pitino will make $1.2 million per year ($500,000 base salary plus $700,000 supplemental) on a six-year contract. The base portion of his salary will increase by at least 5 percent every year.
• He will get a lump sum bonus of $400,000 on April 30, 2016, and on the same date in 2019 if he is still coaching at the U.
• He has the use of a private jet for recruiting. Expenses for the jet cannot exceed $50,000 in a fiscal year.
• If Minnesota fires him, the buyout is half his base salary plus all supplemental salary remaining. However, if Pitino gets another “comparable” job, Minnesota’s payments to Pitino would end. That’s a provision Minnesota did not have with Tubby Smith.
• If Pitino wants to get out of his contract early, he has to pay $1.5 million before April 30, 2016, and $500,000 any time after that for the length of the contract.
• Pitino has several bonus clauses, including $50,000 for making the NCAA tournament and another $50,000 if the Gophers make the Sweet 16. He gets $50,000 if Minnesota has a winning record in the Big Ten — something Smith never accomplished.
|Houston||0||Top 2nd Inning|
|Philadelphia||0||Top 3rd Inning|
|St. Louis||0||Bottom 2nd Inning|
|Baltimore||5||Top 2nd Inning|
|Boston||2||Top 3rd Inning|
|Toronto||2||Bottom 2nd Inning|
|Atlanta||1||Bottom 2nd Inning|
|Washington||0||Top 3rd Inning|
|Chicago Cubs||3:05 PM|
|San Diego||3:05 PM|
|San Francisco||3:05 PM|
|Los Angeles||3:10 PM|
|Kansas City||3:10 PM|
|New York||7:00 PM|
|Golden State||7:30 PM|
|Oklahoma City||8:00 PM|
|Nashville||3||2nd Prd 18:39|
|Arizona||0||1st Prd 4:33|
|San Jose||1||1st Prd 4:54|
|Anaheim||1||1st Prd 1:20|
|NY Rangers||0||1st Prd 4:54|
|Tampa Bay||1:00 PM|
|New Jersey||6:00 PM|
|Los Angeles||7:00 PM|
|Notre Dame||7:49 PM|
|San Jose||2:00 PM|
|Orlando City||3:00 PM|
|Los Angeles||6:00 PM|
|Sporting Kansas City||6:00 PM|
|New York City|
|Red Bull New York||6:30 PM|
|Texas||48||2nd Half 4:21|
|(16) Duke||3:30 PM|
Poll: Who is your favorite team in the NCAA men's hockey tournament?