THE DEAL FOR PITINO
Highlights of Gophers coach Richard Pitino’s contract:
• Pitino will make $1.2 million per year ($500,000 base salary plus $700,000 supplemental) on a six-year contract. The base portion of his salary will increase by at least 5 percent every year.
• He will get a lump sum bonus of $400,000 on April 30, 2016, and on the same date in 2019 if he is still coaching at the U.
• He has the use of a private jet for recruiting. Expenses for the jet cannot exceed $50,000 in a fiscal year.
• If Minnesota fires him, the buyout is half his base salary plus all supplemental salary remaining. However, if Pitino gets another “comparable” job, Minnesota’s payments to Pitino would end. That’s a provision Minnesota did not have with Tubby Smith.
• If Pitino wants to get out of his contract early, he has to pay $1.5 million before April 30, 2016, and $500,000 any time after that for the length of the contract.
|Cincinnati - WP: J. Cueto||4||FINAL|
|Pittsburgh - LP: E. Volquez||1|
|LA Angels - WP: T. Skaggs||7||FINAL|
|Washington - LP: T. Jordan||2|
|Kansas City - WP: J. Shields||8||FINAL|
|Cleveland - LP: D. Salazar||2|
|Baltimore - LP: E. Meek||3||FINAL|
|Toronto - WP: S. Delabar||9|
|Chicago WSox - LP: C. Leesman||6||FINAL|
|Detroit - WP: J. Verlander||8|
|St. Louis - WP: A. Wainwright||3||FINAL|
|NY Mets - LP: D. Gee||0|
|Miami - WP: J. Fernandez||1||FINAL|
|Atlanta - LP: A. Wood||0|
|Minnesota - LP: K. Gibson||3||FINAL|
|Tampa Bay - WP: D. Price||7|
|NY Yankees - WP: M. Tanaka||9||FINAL|
|Boston - LP: J. Lester||3|
|Arizona - LP: B. McCarthy||2||FINAL|
|Chicago Cubs - WP: J. Hammel||9|
|San Diego - WP: D. Roach||2||FINAL|
|Milwaukee - LP: A. Figaro||1|
|San Francisco - LP: M. Bumgarner||1||FINAL|
|Colorado - WP: F. Morales||2|
|Texas - WP: A. Ogando||5||FINAL|
|Oakland - LP: L. Gregerson||4|
|Houston - WP: C. McHugh||5||FINAL|
|Seattle - LP: E. Ramirez||2|
|Philadelphia - WP: A. Bastardo||3||FINAL|
|Los Angeles - LP: J. Howell||2|