Page 2 of 2 Previous
• Edina guard Graham Woodward, who is committed to Penn State, scored 40 points in a 99-61 state tournament victory over Andover. The Hornets’ Reggie Lynch, who is headed for Illinois State, contributed 24 points in the victory.
• Matt Spaeth, the former Gophers tight end who started his pro career with Pittsburgh and played the past two years with the Chicago Bears, has signed a free-agent deal to return to the Steelers. Spaeth, who will be entering his seventh NFL season, had only six catches for 28 yards and one touchdown last season with Chicago, although he played in all 16 games and started eight of them.
• Jasper Brinkley, the former Vikings linebacker who signed as a free agent with the Arizona Cardinals, played in 48 games here over a four-year period but started only 19 games. Rest assured the Vikings will select a linebacker with one of their top draft choices because they need help at that position more than any other.
• Gophers hockey recruits Taylor Cammarata and Justin Kloos, both playing for Waterloo of the United States Hockey League, are the top two scorers in the league. Cammarata, of Plymouth, has 33 goals and 44 assists in 49 games while Kloos, of Lakeville, has 24 goals and 48 assists in 44 games for the Black Hawks. … Gophers recruit Mike Brodzinski, of Blaine, is sixth among USHL defensemen in scoring with 14 goals and 15 assists in 54 games for Muskegon. … Vinni Lettieri is on a tear. The former Minnetonka High School athlete and Gophers recruit has three goals and seven assists in his past five games for Lincoln and now has 21 goals and 27 assists in 53 games.
• Former Gopher Nico Sacchetti has 25 goals and 29 assists in 33 games for HYS The Hague, which is in the playoffs of the Netherlands pro hockey league.
• Timberwolves President Chris Wright explained how busy the team is trying to sell season tickets for next year: “Obviously it’s a roller-coaster ride and sports are cyclical. We’re blessed to have 10,000 season-ticket holders, so our base is higher than it has been since 2004-2005. That really leaves us with 8,000 tickets on a game-by-game basis in the bowl and 1,000 tickets on our suite level. What we try to do is put a plan together from a group sales standpoint, a single-game standpoint, to maximize sales inside of those areas. You find different ways to be able to move the market into the arena to be able to support your team and create a home-court advantage.”
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m.
|Boston - WP: M. Ott||4||FINAL|
|Minnesota - LP: M. Hoffman||3|
|UC Santa Barbara||38|
|San Diego St||73|
|Utah Valley U||83|
|Cal State Fullerton||56||FINAL|
|Long Beach State||66|
|Sam Houston St||70|
|New Mexico St||70|
|Miss Valley St||68||FINAL|
|(22) Middle Tennessee||69|
|William & Mary||65|
Poll: How many games will the Gophers win in the Big Ten tournament?