Zach Riedeman had 16 points and six assists, Tommy Hannon had 14 points and 13 rebounds and No. 1 St. Thomas beat Aurora (Ill.) 91-62 to open the NCAA Division III men's basketball playoffs Saturday in St. Paul.
UST (27-1) improved to 15-0 at home this season, holding the Spartans (21-7) to 34 percent shooting. The Tommies will play No. 22 Wheaton (Ill.) next Saturday at a site to be announced.
Wisconsin-Stevens Point 71, Northwestern (Roseville) 54: Jordan Giordana scored 20 of his 22 points in the second half as the host Pointers (22-4) rallied past the Eagles (21-7). Tom Gisler scored 16 to lead Northwestern.Women
St. Thomas 53, Cornell (Iowa) 52: Kelly Brandenburg scored 15 points as the Tommies (24-5) outlasted the host Rams (25-2) in the second round. The Rams missed two three-pointers in the final 45 seconds.
STAFF REPORTSDivision II
NSIC QUARTERFINALS • MEN
• UPPER IOWA 73, ST. CLOUD STATE 55: Tucker Wentzien had 24 points and 10 rebounds as the Peacocks (20-10) won at St. Cloud for the second time this season, defeating the NSIC North champion Huskies (20-8) in the second round of the conference playoffs Saturday. Upper Iowa shot 50 percent from the floor compared to 34.6 percent for the Huskies.
• BEMIDJI STATE 74, WINONA STATE 72: Mason Walters had 21 points, and Zach Noreen scored 18, including the go-ahead jumper with 2:50 to go, as the Beavers (16-11) stunned the host Warriors (24-6).
• MINNESOTA STATE MANKATO 87, MINNESOTA STATE MOORHEAD 63: Assem Marei had 16 points and 14 rebounds to lead the host Mavericks (24-4) past the Dragons. In his final college game, former Minnetonka High School standout Anthony Tucker scored 16 points to lead the Dragons (19-11).
• AUGUSTANA 85, NORTHERN STATE 61: Cameron McCaffrey had 26 points and went 14-for-14 from the free-throw line as the Vikings (21-7) defeated the Wolves (20-11) in Aberdeen, S.D.
NSIC QUARTERFINALS • WOMEN
• CONCORDIA (ST. PAUL) 80, NORTHERN STATE 65: Anika Whiting scored 19 points and the host Golden Bears (23-5) routed the Wolves (16-12).
• WINONA STATE 47, ST. CLOUD STATE 45: Marieanna Dulas' three-pointer with seven seconds remaining lifted the Warriors past the host Huskies. The Huskies had taken a 45-44 lead on a basket by Morgan Lof with 30 seconds remaining.
• MSU MANKATO 75, MSU MOORHEAD 57: The host Mavericks opened the game with a 20-0 run and went on to defeat the Dragons. Ali Wilkinson scored 23 to lead the Mavericks (24-4). Morgan Zabel scored 15 to lead the Dragons (16-12).
|Miami - LP: T. Koehler||5||FINAL|
|Washington - WP: M. Scherzer||7|
|Arizona - WP: J. Collmenter||13||FINAL|
|Colorado - LP: T. Matzek||7|
|San Diego - WP: I. Kennedy||9||FINAL|
|San Francisco - LP: C. Heston||1|
|Cincinnati - WP: M. Leake||3||FINAL|
|Pittsburgh - LP: G. Cole||0|
|NY Yankees - LP: C. Sabathia||1||FINAL|
|Toronto - WP: M. Buehrle||5|
|Philadelphia||4||Top 9th Inning|
|Baltimore - LP: U. Jimenez||1||FINAL|
|NY Mets - WP: J. deGrom||5|
|Arizona - WP: R. Ray||5||FINAL|
|Colorado - LP: J. Lyles||1|
|Tampa Bay||4||Bottom 8th Inning|
|Los Angeles||2||Bottom 6th Inning|
|Cleveland||5||Bottom 6th Inning|
|Detroit||4||Top 6th Inning|
|Oakland||0||Top 7th Inning|
|Texas||11||Bottom 7th Inning|
|Chicago Cubs||5||Bottom 6th Inning|
|Seattle||0||Top 1st Inning|
|LA Clippers||22||1st Qtr 1:52|
|NY Rangers||1||3rd Prd 7:42|
|Los Angeles||0||0th Half|
|Real Salt Lake||0|
Poll: Does it bother you that Tyus Jones chose Duke over Minnesota?