University of Minnesota President Eric Kaler announced Tuesday that Parker Executive Search, along with a pair of internal committees, will lead the search for a new Gophers athletic director to replace Joel Maturi. Here is the process:
• The 21-person search advisory committee will, among other tasks, identify what the school is looking for in a candidate. It's made up of current and former athletes (such as QB MarQueis Gray), head coaches (such as Don Lucia, men's hockey), faculty members and community members (such as Lou Nanne).
• A four-person search committee will work with Parker Executive Search and the 21-person advisory committee to target candidates. The search committee will conduct confidential interviews with semifinalists and recommend finalists to Kaler, who hopes to have a new AD in place by early May. The committee consists of:
• R. Timothy Mulcahy, vice president for research, U of M (co-chair): chaired the search committees for the University of Minnesota-Rochester chancellor and senior vice president for academic affairs and provost.
• Mary Jo Kane, director, Tucker Center for Research on Girls & Women in Sport, U of M (co-chair): Chairwoman of the search committee that led to the hiring of Joel Maturi in 2002. In 2007, Kane was named one of the 100 most influential sport educators by the International Institute for Sport.
• Amy Phenix, chief of staff, Office of the President, U of M: Oversees day-to-day operational reporting of intercollegiate athletics.
• John E. Lindahl, managing general partner, Norwest Equity Partners: 1968 graduate from the Carlson School of Management who, along with his wife, Nancy, took a lead role in the TCF Bank Stadium fundraising campaign.
Members of the search advisory committee:Co-chairs - Mulcahy and Kane.
Student Athletes – MarQueis Gray, football; Mia Tabberson, volleyball.
Coaches – Don Lucia, men’s hockey; Meg Stephenson, women’s gymnastics.
Athletic Staff – Dan O’Brien, football operations.
Faculty and Academic leadership – Perry Leo, professor and department director, aerospace engineering, and faculty athletic representative; Linda Brady, professor, food science and nutrition, and faculty athletic representative; Virginia Zuiker, associate professor, family social science, and chair, Advisory Committee on Athletics; Walt Jacobs, associate professor and chair, African American & African Studies, and vice chair, Faculty Consultative Committee; Robert McMaster, vice provost and dean of undergraduate education.
Compliance – J.T. Bruett, director, athletic compliance.
Community Members – Julianne Bye, Archie Givens, Nancy Lindahl, Peggy Lucas, Dave Mona, Lou Nanne, Mark Sheffert and Darrell Thompson.
Former student athletes – Quincy Lewis, basketball; and Sue Grimm, swimming.
Parker Executive Search is the same firm the U of M used to complete the hiring of men's basketball coach Tubby Smith and football coach Jerry Kill.
|Texas - WP: S. Tolleson||16||FINAL|
|Oakland - LP: D. Hooker||15|
|San Diego St||58|
|Sam Houston St||49||FINAL|
|Stephen F Austin||68|
|New Mexico St||77|
|Red Bull New York||1|
|Sporting Kansas City||1|
|Real Salt Lake||3||FINAL|
|Fla Gulf Coast||64|
|Coll of Charleston||52||FINAL|
|Stephen F Austin||80|
|(22) Middle Tennessee||84|