

This is Michael Russo's 17th year covering the National Hockey League. He's covered the Minnesota Wild for the Star Tribune since 2005 following 10 years of covering the Florida Panthers for the Sun-Sentinel. Michael uses “Russo’s Rants” to feed a wide-ranging hockey-centric discussion with readers, and can be heard weekly on KFAN (100.3 FM) radio.
Also find Russo on Facebook.
Email Michael to talk about hockey.
The NHL continues to be on hiatus, but the Gophers men's hockey team is in action Friday and Saturday (6 p.m. CT) with its first trip to the University of Vermont in program history.
Here is the story I wrote on freshman goalie Adam Wilcox from Friday's paper. He's a fun interview. He's got the best goals against average in the WCHA (1.55) for the nation's fifth-best defense (1.91).
The Gophers (7-2-2 overall, 2-2-1 on the road) are coming off three points vs. Wisconsin and split last year’s first-ever series with Vermont at Mariucci Arena. C Erik Haula is tied for second in the WCHA and seventh in the NCAA with 14 points. Haula and C Nick Bjugstad, who has been fighting the flu all week, are tied for fifth in the WCHA with six goals each. C Tom Serratore snapped an eight-game point drought with the winning goal Saturday vs. the Badgers. The Gophers are 7-0 when LW Kyle Rau has a point. The Gophers rank first in the WCHA in power play (.250) and penalty kill (.882) percentages and have outshot their opponents in 10 of 11 games. They are the fourth-least penalized team in the nation (10.1 minutes a game). LW Sam Warning (upper body) will miss his eighth and ninth games and G Mike Shibrowski is hurt.
As you know, talks exploded yet again between the NHL and NHLPA on Wednesday when the union made a comprehensive proposal that wasn't accepted by the league. The two sides are expected to at least touch base Friday, but there are no bargaining sessions planned.
This afternoon, the NHL will cancel the slate of games between Nov. 30 and Dec. 14 and the All-Star Game in Columbus, says sources. That'll be 423 regular-season games plus the Winter Classic axed. This was supposed to happen earlier in the week, but that was pushed back due to the union coming to the bargaining table, and than of course, Thanksgiving.
Gary Bettman says the league is losing $18-$20 million a day in revenue.
Whether it's a bluff or a scare tactic or a strategy the NHLPA actually plans to go through with, the union has begun investigating the realities of decertification because the players are starting to feel this is their only option.
It was discussed at length during Wednesday's conference call after the league rejected the players' most recent proposal.
Essentially that means disbanding the union, meaning the league (i.e.) owners no longer have a partner to negotiate with. Means the collective bargaining agreement is gone, players file lawsuit in an effort to have the lockout deemed illegal, and a train that is already off the tracks could potentially get even further buckled as this thing hits the uncertainty of the court system.
Means no salary cap, means no minimum or maximum salaries (which may be reason enough to frighten off the fringe players; what's to keep the Crosby's from getting $20 million a year and the sixth or seventh defenseman from $50,000 a year?), no guaranteed contracts, no entry draft, no pension, no medical benefits.
The hope is the threat alone of this chaos enough gets the owners to the table willing to make a number of concessions and a deal complete. This occurred during last year's NBA lockout, and a week later, deal complete.
If it gets into the courts, season over, I promise.
To get this ball rolling, a petition would need to be signed by one-third of the 725 or so union members. That process has not begun.
I failed decertification class in school, so let some experts educate you:
James Mirtle from the Globe and Mail
-- By the way, want to read a terrific piece on the genius of Donald Fehr? Check out this column in the Washington Post. I think it's dead-on. The owners had no clue it would get to this point, and that's their fault. They completely underestimated Fehr.
Don’t get your hopes up yet, but we may finally have some traction in labor negotiations between the NHL and NHL Players’ Association.

Canisius showed just why they’re considered to be a scrappy team this afternoon.
The Gophers, ranked No. 1 in the nation in every poll that matters, open conference play this weekend with a two-game set at Michigan Tech. The Gophers, who have practiced all week on the smaller sheet of ice at Ridder Arena to prepare, will practice again Thursday morning before making the long trek via bus to Michigan’s Upper Peninsula.
UPDATED
There has finally been significant movement in negotiations between the NHL and NHLPA that may lead to traction toward hopefully ending the lockout.
FROM BETTMAN
Good afternoon, everyone. Bill Daly and I just spent the last hour
with Don and Steve Fehr, and I would like to briefly report to you on what
was discussed. As I think all of you know we have been extremely
disappointed, and that's an understatement, that we've been unable to get
these negotiations on the essential elements moving forward. So, today, we
began by discussing with Don and Steve that if we were to drop the puck on
November 2nd for the start of the regular season, we could preserve an
82-game schedule for the regular season and play full playoffs as we
normally do and be done before the end of June.
We very much want to preserve a full 82-game season, and in that
light, we made a proposal, an offer, really that is our best shot at
preserving an 82-game regular season and playoffs, and this offer that we
made obviously was contingent upon having an 82-game regular season.
A lot of you know we don't negotiate publicly, and I'm not going to
break that habit because I don't think it's constructive. The fact of the
matter is, we offered a 50-50 share of HRR, hockey related revenues, and we
believe we addressed the concern that players have about what happens to
their salaries as a result in this year of reducing the percentage from 57
to 50%.
Beyond that, I don't want to get into the substance other than to say
we believe that this was a fair offer for a long-term deal, and it's one
that we hope gets a positive reaction so that we can drop the puck on
November 2nd -- which backing up, entails at least a one-week training
camp. So we have about nine or ten days to get this all put to bed,
signed, sealed and delivered, in order for this offer to be effective and
for us to move forward.
We hope that this effort that we've undertaken today would be
successful because we know how difficult this all has been for everybody
associated with the game, particularly our fans.
How confident are you that this is going to go forward?
Well, we certainly hope it will. We've given it our best shot.
What was the reaction?
The reaction was that they obviously need to study it, and so we told
them that we're available to them. But they're going to need some time to
review it, and I respect that portion of the process. Obviously, they've
got to understand the offer and get comfortable with it.
Was it just the core economic issues in terms of the offer?
We had a number of significant elements that we believe can and
should serve as the basis of a deal to get us playing hockey.
Why do this today?
Because if we want to have an 82-game regular season, if we want to
preserve an 82-game regular season and you back up the timetable in terms
of the schedule, we needed to do it.
By the way, in terms of the schedule, so everybody understands, the
compression that would be involved is one additional game every five weeks.
Beyond that, we don't think it would be good for the players or for the
game. But if you look at what our ability would be to schedule 82 games
and you work back from November 2nd, if we didn't do it now, if we didn't
put an effort on the table that we thought was fair and could get us
playing hockey, if we didn't do it now, then it probably wasn't going to
happen for a while. Because, again, it's done in the spirit of getting a
full season in.
Is it 50-50 across the board?
It's 50-50 across board.
How long of a contract will this be?
I'm not going to get into the specifics. We proposed a long-term
contract. We think that's in everybody's interest. We think that's what
our fans want.
Can you explain how you address the roll back or the escrow?
There is no roll back, and I'm not going to get into the specifics.
It would not be constructive at this point in time. The union has some
work to do, and we respect the process. I probably have gone further than
I usually have in terms of discussing what we've proposed than at any other
time. But I'm not comfortable going any further. I'm more concerned about
the process right now and getting us back on the ice.
How worried are you they might say no and more of the season will be
lost?
I don't even want to go there.
Is the league amenable to playing an abbreviated schedule?
We're focused on getting the puck dropped on November 2nd and playing
a full 82-game regular season and full playoffs. That's what this offer is
all about.
Have you made plans to meet later in the week?
We're going to be on-call to them. They have some work to do
internally. Obviously, we didn't put this proposal, this offer, together
overnight, and they're going to need a little time to review it. I'm
hoping that review will get us to a positive and constructive place.
-----
In Gophers news, Nick Bjugstad was named WCHA Offensive Player of the Week. The junior center scored winning goals in each victory vs. Michigan State.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT