Michael Rand started RandBall with hopes that he could keep lies from conquering the minds of the weak. So far, he's only succeeded in using the word "redacted" a lot. He welcomes suggestions, news tips, links of pure genius, and pictures of pets in Halloween costumes here, though he already knows he will regret that last part.
Follow Randball on Twitter
That said, this is December. Lake running has been primarily replaced by treadmill running in our routine. And that means we have re-connected with some of the best running songs of all time. Here, then, is the RandBall unimpeachably great list of FIVE SONGS THAT MAKE US RUN REALLY FAST.
1) Wolf Like Me (TV on the Radio) -- The perfect song to start out with. It's a little heavier, but it has a perfect right-left-right-left up-tempo beat.
2) Chunk Rawk (The Plastic Constellations) -- OK, this song was released in 1999 and we can't find it anywhere for all of you to listen to. These guys, who met at Hopkins High School, were like 17 when they recorded this song. And it rocks. If you ever see us at the gym making wild arm flails or mimicking drumming while turning the MPHs up to 8 or 9, we are most likely listening to this song. And you are most likely wondering what is wrong with us. But NOTHING IS WRONG WITH US. We're just listening to Chunk Rawk. Go find this song. Or ask us really nicely sometime when you see us to borrow the original CD (We Got the Movement). And then you will be able to run faster than you have ever run before in your life.
3) World as a Waiting Room (White Denim) -- OK, so the RBBH downloaded this 30-minute running workout a while back. We were skeptical. It was supposed to help you train to run fast for a 10K. It's full of speed training, hill training, etc. It has a "personal trainer" yelling at you (OK, more like nicely encouraging) to go faster. And when you are maxed out -- running at 3 percent incline at your fastest possible speed for one minute, which for us right now is 10.1 mph at that incline -- World as a Waiting Room is the song that's playing. And somehow it makes you run really fast. It's like hipster Jimi Hendrix tried surf rock.
4) Roaming the Foam (Lifter Puller) -- Obviously. One of the greatest songs -- and certainly the greatest running song -- by the greatest local band ever. Lyrics have some adult themes, so watch out, kids. We're sweating like a [redacted] in [redacted] after this one.
5) SexyBack (Justin Timberlake) -- What. What? What!
Accepting nominations in the comments.
You guys blasted your way through the 1970s with ease. Let's see how you handle the final music lyric quiz before we get to our current decade. Hey, it's Pop Culture Friday:
1) The time to hesitate is through. No time to wallow in the mire.
2) In restless dreams I walked alone. Narrow streets of cobblestone.
3) Your lips excite me; let your arms invite me. For who knows when we'll meet again this way.
4) You never close your eyes anymore when I kiss your lips.
5) I've got so much honey the bees envy me. I've got a sweeter song than the birds in the trees.
6) I thought love was only true in fairy tales. Meant for someone else but not for me. (Bonus: This song was actually written by Neil Diamond).
7) For well you know that it's a fool who plays it cool.
8) You've got me blowin, blowin my mind. Is it tomorrow or just the end of time?
9) Leaves are falling all around, it's time I was on my way. Thanks to you, I'm much obliged for such a pleasant stay.
10) Woah Woman, oh woman, don't treat me so mean. You're the meanest old woman that I've ever seen.
After delightful trips through the 1990s and 1980s, we now test your knowledge of 1970s song lyrics in another edition of Pop Culture Friday. Here we go:
1) Hey hey mama said the way you move, gonna make you sweat, gonna make you groove.
2) Now in darkness world stops turning; Ashes where the bodies burning.
3) Just yesterday morning they let me know you were gone. Suzanne, the plans they made made put an end to you.
4) Well I'm not the world's most physical guy but when she squeezed me tight she nearly broke my spine.
5) They took all the trees, and put them in a tree museum. Then they charged the people a dollar and a half just to see 'em.
6) Jubilation, she loves me again, I fall on the floor and I'm laughing.
7) And when the broken hearted people living in the world agree, there will be an answer.
8) Lonely feelin', deep inside. Find a corner where I can hide. Silent footsteps crowdin' me. Sudden darkness, but I can see.
9) You know it's all right, it's O.K. I'll live to see another day. We can try to understand the New York Times' effect on man.
10) It took all the strength I had not to fall apart.
Our attempt at some sort of pop culture entry on Fridays leads us to Part II of a music lyric quiz. A couple weeks back, it was the 1990s. Now, we'll try the 1980s. Eventually, we'll come back to the 2000s as some sort of decade retrospective. For now, though, these are all lines from fairly popular 1980s songs. One point for artist, one point for song title:
1) You live for the fight when it's all that you've got.
2) You gotta squeeze a little, squeeze a little, tease a little more.
3) You're so fine, and you're mine. I'll be yours 'til the end of time.
4) Some will win, some will lose. Some were born to sing the blues.
5) Oh can't you see me standing here? I've got my back against the record machine.
6) And she's watching him with those eyes. And she's lovin' him with that body.
7) You're shying away. I'll be coming for you anyway.
8) Her hair reminds me of a warm safe place, where as a child I'd hide.
9) Rat-tailed Jimmy is a second-hand hood. Deals out in Hollywood.
10) And all that I wanted was you. You made all my dreams come true.
Pictured, left to right: DaveMN, Stu, adult, adult, AZGG, RandBall.
We used to do a "Movie Quotes" post every Friday. It was fun, but we kind of got burned out on finding 10 movies every week. That said, we also like the idea of Fridays being a little lighter -- or at least starting out that way. So as we stared at the keyboard pondering what the Vikings might do at QB in 2010 or what Brad Childress' extension means in the grand scheme of things, we had a sudden urge to step out of the sports realm and go a different direction. Thus, a quiz on music lyrics from the 1990s. We will give you lyrics from 10 songs. You will get 1 point for naming the artist, 2 points for correctly naming the song. All of these songs were released between 1990 and 1999. Go!
1) I don't even care. We could have all three, she said.
2) Girl I must warn you. I sense something strange in my mind.
3) An old man turned ninety-eight. He won the lottery and died the next day.
4) We try to hustle them, try to bustle them, try to cuss them. The cops want someone to bust down on Orleans Avenue.
5) Gimme the microphone first so I can bust like a bubble.
6) Hangin' round downtown by myself. And I had so much time to sit and think about myself.
7) Are you dancin' like you're staggering drunk, or are you drinkin' like you're tryin' to dance? Hey soap suds, you know you're way too quick to fall in love.
8) As I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I take a look at my life and realize there's nothing left.
9) I'm a cold heartbreaker, fit ta burn, and I'll rip your heart in two.
10) My loneliness is killin' me. I must confess I still believe.
We'll be back a little later with some bonus Stu and other goodness.
|Arts (1)||Books (1)|
|Movies (3)||Music (5)|
|Hobbies (1)||Fishing (1)|
|Society (2)||Crime (1)|
|Sports (491)||Professional baseball (621)|
|Basketball (7)||Football (1)|
|College football (118)||Professional football (433)|
|Technology (1)||Food and drink (13)|
|Politics (1)||Transportation (1)|
|Employment (1)||Career development (1)|
|Cooking (2)||Pets (1)|
|Vikings (811)||Men (3)|
|Games (1)||Gambling (1)|
|Commercial (1)||Animals (2)|
|Dogs (2)||Gripes (1)|
|Newspapers (1)||Beer (6)|
|Minnesota wine retailers (1)||Wine retail + marketing (1)|
|Bad driving (1)||Commuting (1)|
|Adoption (1)||Family activities (1)|
|Style (2)||Pregnancy (1)|
|Retirement (1)||Shopping (1)|
|Chickens (2)||Fruit and berries (2)|
|Internet (1)||Twitter (2)|
|Video games (2)||Web pick (1)|
|YouTube (1)||Birds in the backyard (1)|
|Business trends (2)||Loopholes (1)|
|Problems on the job (1)||The rich get richer (1)|
|Airlines (1)||Midwest getaways (1)|
|Road trips (1)||Skiing (1)|
|Travel deals (1)||Wisconsin (3)|
|TCF Bank Stadium (1)||NCAA: football (88)|
|Basketball on TV (1)||Gophers coaches (1)|
|Frozen Four (11)||North Dakota (1)|
|College hockey (15)||Fantasy football (12)|
|Golf (79)||Minnesota state tournaments (16)|
|Preps (8)||Soccer (77)|
|WNBA (12)||Wild news (3)|
|Wolves news (247)||NFC (2)|
|Vikings coaches (1)||Behind the scenes (3)|
|Celebrities (1)||Dance (1)|
|Local TV and radio (1)||Ex-players (1)|
|Injury report (2)||Baseball wisdom (1)|
|Target Field (225)||Twins fans (636)|
|Twins game coverage (17)||Twins management (3)|
|Twins offense (1)||Twins pitching (3)|
|Twins rumors (1)||NBA playoffs (1)|
|Wolves draft news (1)||Wolves guards (1)|
|Wolves players (9)||Values and morals (1)|
|Wild coaching (32)||Wild off-season news (1)|
|Wild player moves (1)||Wild pregame skate (1)|
|Movies (1)||Ortonville (1)|
|Brad Childress (1)||Stillwater (1)|
|Television (1)||NHL news (77)|
|Outdoors Women (1)||Glen Perkins (1)|
|Health + Beauty (1)||Beer (1)|
|Wine (1)||Public safety (1)|