Jason Gonzalez has covered an array of sports at all levels over the last six years. He learned ice hockey, however, long before — during the 2002 Winter Olympic Games in Salt Lake City, Utah (his hometown). He got a close up look of legendary Gophers alum Herb Brooks and other Minnesota hockey greats. Jason is nearing two years with the Star Tribune.
Follow Jason on Twitter @JGonStrib
Email to talk Gophers.
The Gophers handed out team awards at their annual banquet on Sunday. Adam Wilcox added to his growing pile of awards with another Most Valuable Player recognition.
Here's a breakdown of the awards courtesy of the Gophers staff:
• Adam Wilcox was honored with the John Mariucci Most Valuable Player Award after backstopping the Gophers to the inaugural Big Ten regular-season title. The South St. Paul native is a finalist for both the Hobey Baker Award and the Mike Richter Award as well as an All-America candidate. A First Team All-Big Ten selection and the Big Ten Player and Goaltender of the Year, Wilcox ranks second nationally in save percentage (.933), third in goals against average (1.91) and fourth in wins (23).
• Hudson Fasching was named the Frank Pond Rookie of the Year after leading all Minnesota rookies with 28 points (12 goals, 16 assists) this season. The Burnsville native was selected to the Big Ten All-Freshman Team and was All-Big Ten Honorable Mention.
• The Elwin “Doc” Romnes Leadership & Sportsmanship Award was presented to senior captain Nate Condon, who has now played in 154-straight games for the Maroon & Gold and 155 total games. The Wausau, Wis., native has 98 career points (38 goals, 60 assists) for Minnesota including 20 points (seven goals, 13 assists) in his final season with the program.
• Junior captain Kyle Rau was named the recipient of the John Mayasich Outstanding Student-Athlete Award after leading the program on the ice and in the classroom. A Second Team All-Big Ten selection, Rau led Minnesota with 34 points (12 goals, 22 assists) this season including the overtime winner against Michigan to clinch the regular-season title.
• Minnesota also honored senior Jake Parenteau with the Donald M. Clark Community Service Award while Ryan Reilly was named the recipient of the Mike Crupi Most Determined Player Award. Senior Michael Shibrowski was named the Dr. V. George Nagobads Unsung Hero Award winner.
• The Gophers will take on Robert Morris in the NCAA West Regional opener on Saturday (4:30 p.m. CT, ESPN2) at Xcel Energy Center while St. Cloud State and Notre Dame will play in the second regional semifinal on Saturday (8 p.m., ESPNU). The NCAA West Regional Championship is set for 6:30 p.m. on Sunday on ESPNU.