Minnesota State Mankato defeated St. Cloud State 11-10 in the NCAA Division II Central Regional baseball tournament in Farmington, N.M.
Trailing 10-7, the Mavericks scored four runs in the top of the ninth inning with two outs and held on for the victory. Danny Miller's infield chopper scored Ben Kincaid from third for the winning run.
Minnesota State advances to the NCAA Central Region Championship game at 2 p.m. Sunday, while the Huskies were to face the winner of New Mexico Highlands and Mesa State later Saturday to advance to Sunday's championship game.
Tommies beat Cobbers
Tom Wippler hit the game-winning homer in the first game against Concordia (Moorhead), then drove in six runs with two homers and a double in the second game against Augsburg as St. Thomas stayed alive with a pair of elimination-game wins Saturday at the MIAC baseball playoffs in Dundas, Minn.
The 7-6 and 17-1 victories by the Tommies set up a rematch between Augsburg and St. Thomas at 1 p.m. Sunday for the MIAC title and the automatic berth into the NCAA playoffs.
Tommies sweep in track
The St. Thomas track and field teams swept the MIAC outdoor championships for the third year in a row, running away with both the men's and women's titles at St Mary's University in Winona.
The men scored 178.5 points to outdistance runner-up Hamline (155 points), Bethel (109), St. Olaf (87) and Augsburg (77).
The UST women picked up 168 points to beat runner-up Gustavus by 25.5 points. St. Benedict (89), Concordia (Moorhead) (88) and Bethel (81) rounded out the top five.
Tommies freshman Eyo Ekpo earned a pair of conference titles, winning the long jump and the triple jump, while Bethel's Marie Borner and Carleton's Simone Childs-Walker were also double winners. Borner posted NCAA automatic-qualifying marks in sweeping the 800 and 1,500, while Childs-Walker cruised to victories in both the 5,000 and 10,000.
• Wayne State defeated Concodia (St. Paul) 7-3 in the Central Region Division II softball tournament in Wayne, Neb. The 7-3 loss put Concordia in an elimination game later Saturday against either Augustana or Minnesota Duluth. Wayne State advances to Sunday's final round of play.
• The Minnesota State Mankato softball team fell to top-seeded Metro State 7-1 in the other regional in Colorado Springs, Colo. The Mavericks were to play Winona State in the elimination game late Saturday. The winner will advance to the championship game at noon Sunday.
• Josh Alley's RBI-single with one out in the bottom of the 10th lifted the St. Paul Saints to a 3-2 victory over Wichita at Midway Stadium and a three-game sweep of the Wingnuts.
• The NSCM Stars tied Miami FC 1-1 in Blaine. Johnny Menyongar's 55th minute volley gave the Stars a 1-0, but a breakdown at the back let Paulo Araujo Jr. head home an equalizer in the 73rd minute. The Stars are now 2-5-1 on the season.
• The Minnesota State Mankato women's golf team finished 11th at the 2010 NCAA Division II Women's Golf Championship in Mesa, Ariz. Kassie Ellsworth, who was 47th in individual standings, was the top finisher for the Mavericks.
• The St. Thomas softball team lost 9-1 to Linfield in the winners' bracket game at the Division III Softball regional in Indianola, Iowa. The Tommies need to win three elimination games on Sunday and Monday to win the regional.