Eden Prairie, Wayzata and Minnetonka lead a large pack, and watch DeLaSalle, too.
The west metro is a broad expanse, with too many football teams and players to do the area justice. But here’s a look at some things to watch for as the 2013 football season gets ready to take off.
The best in the west
A look at the top three Class 6A teams in the west metro and the top three teams among the other classes.
1. Eden Prairie: Like you didn’t know. Rob Olson, Eric Dunn, Zach Hovey, Dan Fisher, Anthony Anderson, etc., etc. This team is loaded.
2. Wayzata: The word is the Trojans have simplified their playbook to improve execution on offense. In other words, “Here it is. Try to stop us.”
3. Minnetonka: The Skippers swamped a Hudson (Wis.) football team that went to the state semifinals in 2012. They have balance on offense and a mean streak on defense.
1. DeLaSalle: The Islanders might not have big numbers but they do have more raw talent per capita than any team in the metro. Keep track of junior receiver Marquise Bridges; opponents could have trouble doing the same thing.
2. Delano: Longtime coach Merrill Pavlovich said he thinks this might be a rebuilding year, but the Tigers have elite talent in lineman Christian Triplett and receiver Adam Kraft. They also boast a strong football tradition.
3. Cooper: The Hawks lost a lot of talent to graduation, but speed can overcome inexperience. The Hawks have plenty of both.
On the cusp: Minneapolis Washburn, Holy Family, Providence Academy.
Five worth noting
They didn’t quite make the Star Tribune metro dream team, but will make a splash this fall.
• Nick Rooney, Minnetonka, QB: He won’t go unnoticed for long if he continues to play like he did in Friday’s 43-23 rout of Hudson. He was nearly flawless, completing 14 of 18 passes for 208 yards and two touchdowns.
• Adam Kraft, Delano, WR: Big (6-3, 200) with excellent hands and better-than-expected speed. Caught 20 passes in 2012, including eight for touchdowns. Intercepted six passes as a free safety.
|Sam Houston St||76|
|Stephen F Austin||83|
|Miss Valley St||66|
|Miss Valley St||61|
|Central Conn St||53||FINAL|
|Mount St Marys||87||FINAL|