• In what has to be an unprecedented moment for the Twins’ minor league system, Baseball America recently released their revised top 50 prospects and the Twins have the first and third player on the list. Outfielder Byron Buxton, who was ranked 10th before this season, now is No. 1. “No. 1 talent in last year’s draft is even better than expected with power, speed, defense and an extremely advanced hitting approach,” the publication wrote. Third baseman Miguel Sano moved up from No. 9 to No. 3. Baseball America wrote: “Best power in the minors, one of the best arms. Hitting ability has taken a step forward.” The other Twin in the top 50 was righthander Alex Meyer, acquired in the Denard Span trade with the Nationals. He landed at No. 32.
• The Twins recently hit the halfway point of the season, going 36-45 in their first 81 games. That compares to records of 35-46 in 2012 and 2011, 44-37 in 2010 and 41-40 in 2009. In the past two seasons the Twins have had even worse records in the second half of the season, going 31-50 last year and 28-53 in 2011.
• Torrodd Carter, a wide receiver out of Westerville South High School in Columbus, Ohio, is expected to receive a scholarship offer from the Gophers soon. Carter is the nephew of former Gopher Danny Upchurch, who still holds the team record for most punt returns in a game with nine.
• Last season the Gophers had only two football games on ESPN2. The rest of their regular-season games were on the Big Ten Network except their season opener against UNLV, which was on the CBS Sports Network. But already this year the Gophers have one game scheduled to be on ABC, their Sept. 28 game at home against Iowa, and their game the following week against Michigan will be on either ABC, ESPN or ESPN2.
• CBSSports.com had an interesting note on 6-4 guard Isaiah Whitehead, one of the top basketball recruits in the class of 2014 out of Lincoln High School in Brooklyn, N.Y. Whitehead said the three schools recruiting him the hardest are Louisville, Syracuse and the Gophers. That means that Richard Pitino is going head-to-head recruiting against his father, Louisville coach Rick Pitino, for the first time as Gophers head coach.
• Reid Travis, the DeLaSalle forward who is ranked 40th in the class of 2014 by Rivals.com, recently made his first official campus visit to Gonzaga and came back impressed. The Bulldogs have another local player on the roster, redshirt junior center Sam Dower of Osseo, who averaged 6.9 points per game last season. Travis also took part recently in the Big Man Skills Academy in Union, N.J.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and on Sundays at 9:30 a.m. • firstname.lastname@example.org