Page 2 of 2 Previous
“I don’t know, it’s kind of hard because it’s hard to replace a guy like Percy, to be honest with you,” he said. “But if you have a guy that really doesn’t want to be there, if that’s the case, then yes, it’s better off for the team. For whatever reason he wasn’t happy where he was, and now he’s in Seattle and I wish him the best.”
Buxton could be moving
Twins 2012 first-round pick Byron Buxton continues to dominate at Class A Cedar Rapids. He entered Saturday second in the Midwest League in hitting with a .338 average, is first in on-base percentage at .428, fourth in RBI with 52 and first by a lot in runs scored with 66.
Twins General Manager Terry Ryan likes what he sees from Buxton and believes he will be moved up soon.
“He has a chance to be real good,” Ryan said. “He’s got all the skills, the makeup, he’s athletic, a pure center fielder, can run, throw, field, hit, power, steal a base and makeup. That’s why we took him. He’s off to a good start at Cedar Rapids, and that’s just as important. We’re looking for guys not only with those ceiling tools but also guys that perform, and he’s doing all the above.”
• Look for Timberwolves President Flip Saunders to make every effort to draft Indiana shooting guard Victor Oladipo, who would give the Wolves just what they need in the backcourt.
• The top three Vikings draft picks should receive signing bonuses in this order: Sharrif Floyd, $4.2 million; Xavier Rhodes, $4.1 million; and Cordarrelle Patterson, $3.6 million, according to the 2013 estimates of NFL teams’ rookie pool. The Vikings have signed all their draft picks except those three.
• During the past two Final Fours, the Wall Street Journal has published the values of top college basketball programs as figured by Ryan Brewer of Indiana University-Purdue University-Columbus. Last year’s report placed the Gophers 10th in the nation and third in the Big Ten with a worth of $87.9 million. The Gophers didn’t make the top 10 this year, but Brewer said in an e-mail that the Gophers came in at No. 12 this year with a valuation of $114.76 million.
• Minnesota native Tom Lehman has played in eight events this year on the Champions Tour and has earned $390,590. Lehman also toured the Children’s of Alabama hospital earlier this month before the Regions Tradition tournament with former U.S. Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice.
• Connor Mayes, a center from Van Alstyne, Texas, who recently committed to the Gophers, has been selected to play in the U.S. Army All-American Bowl, which will be played on Jan. 4 in San Antonio.
• Twins President David St. Peter reported the club and Major League Baseball expect to unveil the 2014 All Star Game logo sometime in August. Tickets will be sold in three-event strips, including the Futures Game, the workout day/Home Run Derby and the All-Star Game itself. Twins season-ticket holders will be given priority.
|Boston - WP: M. Ott||4||FINAL|
|Minnesota - LP: M. Hoffman||3|
|San Francisco||4||Top 7th Inning|
|Colorado||3||Top 4th Inning|
|LA Lakers||60||3rd Qtr 5:28|
|UC Santa Barbara||38|
|San Diego St||73|
|Utah Valley U||83|
|Cal State Fullerton||56||FINAL|
|Long Beach State||66|
|Sam Houston St||70|
|Rhode Island||61||2nd Half 0:01|
|Miss State||60||2nd Half 5:09|
|Georgia Tech||51||2nd Half 4:15|
|ULM||65||2nd Half 0:10|
|Marquette||54||2nd Half 3:32|
|West Virginia||28||2nd Half 6:31|
|Memphis||37||2nd Half 10:55|
|Boise State||10:30 PM|
|New Mexico St|
|Miss Valley St||68||FINAL|
|(22) Middle Tennessee||69|
|William & Mary||65|
Poll: How many games will the Gophers win in the Big Ten tournament?