Page 2 of 2 Previous
• Sports Illustrated released its “Fortunate 50,” which lists the highest-paid athletes in terms of salary, winnings, bonuses and endorsements. The lone Minnesota professional athlete to make the list was Joe Mauer at No. 20 overall. He made $23 million in salary last year and $2 million in endorsements. Former Twins ace Johan Santana made the list at No. 13 after earning $25.5 million in salary last year with the Mets and $800,000 in endorsements.
• Rashad Vaughn told the website Tar Heel Illustrated that he came close to committing to North Carolina last week, but after talking to his parents the Cooper basketball star decided to wait. But right now it appears that Vaughn, who is ranked as the sixth-best recruit in the country, favors the Tar Heels. An indication of how bad North Carolina coach Roy Williams wants Vaughn is that right after his team was eliminated from the NCAA tournament, Williams was in Vaughn’s home recruiting him.
• Former Twins center fielder Carlos Gomez began Thursday leading the National League in batting average at .365. He was 50-for-137 at the plate with six home runs, three triples, 11 doubles, 22 runs scored and 18 RBI for Milwaukee. Gomez had only seven games without a hit in 36 games played, and three of those came in the first five games of the season.
• ESPN baseball writer Keith Law released his top 100 prospects for the Major League Baseball amateur draft and there were a few Minnesota connections. Gophers pitchers Tom Windle and DJ Snelten made the list, Windle at No. 60 overall and Snelten at No. 71. No. 37 prospect Logan Shore is a pitcher at Coon Rapids High School and No. 40 is injured Red Wing outfielder Ryan Boldt.
• Former Gopher Paul Martin is tied for second among NHL defensemen in playoff scoring with two goals and five assists in seven games for the Pittsburgh Penguins. He is also second on the Penguins in ice time.
Sid Hartman can be heard weekdays on 830-AM at 6:40, 7:40 and 8:40 a.m. and Sundays at 9:30 a.m. firstname.lastname@example.org
|Tampa Bay - LP: J. Odorizzi||2||FINAL|
|Boston - WP: J. Lester||6|
|William & Mary||74||FINAL|
|North Dakota St||83|
|South Dakota St||60||FINAL|
|South Dakota St||58|
|San Jose St||75||FINAL|
|(5) West Virginia||71||FINAL|
|San Diego State||63|