Consider what the Gophers wrestling team accomplished on Sunday -- two victories against two programs with a combined 57 NCAA team titles.
Consider what the Gophers wrestling team accomplished on Sunday -- two victories against two programs with a combined 57 NCAA team titles. In the semifinals of the National Duals at Gallagher-Iba Arena, the No. 3 Gophers defeated No. 4 Iowa 16-15 after falling behind 9-0. In the championship they beat No. 1-ranked and previously unbeaten Oklahoma State 18-13. Both victories avenged losses earlier this season. The Gophers ended the dual meet season with a 14-3 record. Next are the Big Ten championships, March 3 and 4.
• The Gophers got victories in the final three matches from Kevin Steinhaus (184 pounds), Sonny Yohn (197) and Tony Nelson (heavyweight). Steinhaus beat Grant Gambrall 3-1, Yohn defeated Vinnie Wagner 7-4, and Nelson beat Bobby Telford 2-0.
• It was the Gophers' first victory over the Hawkeyes since their national championship season of 2006-07.
• The Gophers lost to Iowa 19-17 on Jan. 29 in Iowa City.
• Oklahoma State beat No. 5 Illinois 19-15 in the other semifinal.
• Zach Sanders (125) rebounded from his loss to Matt McDonough of Iowa, beating Jon Morrison 5-2.
• Just as in the semifinals, Steinhaus, Yohn and Nelson closed out the match with decision victories: Steinhaus 4-1 over Christopher McNeil, Yohn 3-1 over Blake Rosholt and Nelson 8-1 over Austin Marsden. Marsden was filling in for third-ranked Alan Gelogaev.
• The Gophers lost to Oklahoma State 23-14 on Dec. 4 in Stillwater and hadn't beaten the Cowboys since December 2006.
|Chicago Cubs - LP: E. Jackson||2||FINAL|
|Pittsburgh - WP: V. Mazzaro||4|
|Baltimore - LP: K. Gausman||6||FINAL|
|Toronto - WP: B. Morrow||12|
|Cleveland - WP: Z. McAllister||12||FINAL|
|Boston - LP: R. Dempster||3|
|Minnesota - LP: J. Burton||6||FINAL|
|Detroit - WP: J. Benoit||7|
|LA Angels - WP: J. Blanton||5||FINAL|
|Kansas City - LP: E. Santana||4|
Poll: Who should be the next Twins starting pitcher to lose his job?