• MINNESOTA DULUTH 4, NOTRE DAME 3: Travis Oleksuk scored the tiebreaking goal with 4 minutes, 24 seconds to play, and the host Bulldogs opened defense of their NCAA title by defeating the top-ranked Irish on Friday. No. 8 UMD unveiled its first national championship banner before the game, then went out and outshot Notre Dame 31-17. Mike Seidel, Keegan Flaherty and J.T. Brown also scored for the Bulldogs. Billy Maday, Anders Lee and Mike Voran scored for Notre Dame.
• MINNESOTA STATE MANKATO 1, RPI 0: Cameron Cooper scored the only goal of the game with 1:22 to play to lift the Mavericks over the Engineers in Troy, N.Y. Austin Lee made 36 saves for the Mavericks, including 17 in the third period. RPI failed to score on 11 power-play chances.
• NORTH DAKOTA 4, AIR FORCE 3: Brock Nelson scored two third-period goals 87 seconds apart as the Sioux rallied to beat the Falcons at the Ice Breaker Tournament in Grand Forks, N.D. Corban Knight and Carter Rowney also scored for UND.
• NORTHERN MICHIGAN 3, WISCONSIN 2 (OT): Reed Seckel scored with 4 seconds left in overtime as the Wildcats opened the season by surprising the Badgers in Madison, Wis.
• BEMIDJI STATE 5, MIAMI (OHIO) 3: Aaron McLeod had two goals and an assist, and the Beavers scored four third-period goals to beat the No. 2 RedHawks in Oxford, Ohio.
• ST. CLOUD STATE 4, ALASKA 1: Travis Novak and Ben Hanowski scored unassisted goals in the second period and the Huskies beat the host Nanooks in the Kendall Hockey Classic.
• MICHIGAN TECH 4, AMERICAN INTERNATIONAL 3: Jordan Baker scored with 59 seconds left as the Huskies rallied from three goals down to win in Houghton, Mich.
• NEBRASKA OMAHA 5, MERCYHURST 1: Brock Montpetit scored twice and the host Mavericks routed the Lakers.