Spain disrupts cell plotting attack

The Interior Ministry of Spain said Tuesday that police had arrested two men and dismantled a radical Islamist cell that had been plotting an attack in Spain or in neighboring ­countries.

“This group was clearly operational and consisted of individuals who were already radicalized and prepared for possible attack, in our own country or those nearby,” the Interior Ministry said in a statement. It said the two men were Spanish citizens of Moroccan origin, who were arrested in Ceuta, a Spanish coastal enclave in North Africa.

Ceuta and another area to the east, Melilla, have come under scrutiny in recent months as Spanish authorities have intensified efforts to dismantle possible terrorist cells. The enclaves have large numbers of Muslims who hold European passports.

Authorities said the suspects were in contact with Islamic State militants over the Internet. Authorities said the six arrested in the two sweeps had similar profiles to those who committed fatal attacks in and around Paris in January.

New York Times