The city's new organics pickup program won't start to roll out until the end of the year, but residents can now formally declare their interest in participating.

The new system of hauling organics waste was a key item in Mayor Betsy Hodges' 2015 budget. The service will eventually be available to 1-4 unit residences throughout the city, but interested participants must voluntarily opt-in.

City officials have said they only expect about 40 percent of eligible homes to participate, though all households served by city haulers -- more than 100,000 homes -- will see a $48 hike in their solid waste fees this year.

To participate in the program and receive a new green organics bin, residents can contact swrcustomer@minneapolismn.gov or call 612-673-2917.

But don't expect to see that cart very soon. The carts will roll out in two phases determined by geographic area, beginning with 25 percent of the city in August 2015 and the remaining 75 percent in spring 2016. 

The early sign-up will give the city time to order carts and plan routes, according to a city statement.