• Over the past five years, the University of Minnesota ranks third among all NCAA Division I programs with 44 CoSIDA Academic All-America merits. Only Stanford and Alabama have had more.
• ESPN NFL columnist Dan Graziano had a column making big predictions for the next three years in the league. No. 2 on his list was that quarterback Kirk Cousins will sign a contract extension with the Vikings. … CBS Sports ranked the NFL's top defensive backs and had Xavier Rhodes, who struggled in 2018, as the 10th-best cornerback in the league and Harrison Smith as the sixth-best safety.
• Paul Holmgren, the St. Paul Harding product who played hockey for the Gophers, Fighting Saints and North Stars, decided to no longer serve as president of hockey operations for the Flyers, the team he made his NHL debut with at age 20 in 1976, and instead will be a senior adviser. General Manager Chuck Fletcher, the longtime Wild GM, will now serve as president of hockey operations as well.
• Former Twins second baseman Brian Dozier is hitting .236 with 14 homers and 35 RBI in 90 games with the Nationals. His old friend and fellow ex-Twins infielder Eduardo Escobar is hitting a career-high .288 with 21 homers and 77 RBI in 96 games for the Diamondbacks.
• Amir Coffey's final NBA Summer League stats with the Clippers: 14.8 points, 5.8 rebounds, 3.0 assists per game. In seven games with the Timberwolves, Jordan Murphy averaged 8.9 points and 4.9 rebounds per game. … Former DeLaSalle standout Reid Travis played with Atlanta in the Summer League and averaged 4.2 points and 4.0 rebounds in five games.
• Baseball Prospectus has a new rating system for catchers' defensive ability and
ranks the Twins' Jason Castro No. 10 in the majors while Mitch Garver ranks No. 51.